62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Eventually the center will be welded solid. I'll start with a bunch of plug welds just to get it in there. Once the floors are tacked in, this project will be on hold for a couple months or so. I've got to switch to fabricating several air cleaners and a couple other top secret projects I'm working on. :D

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Finished drilling and punching holes yesterday. Cleaned and coated all of the flanges with weld through primer( I hate weld through primer, but it is a necessary evil). Next step, drop.the floor pans in and weld it. One note on the floor pans. I am pretty sure this set of floor pans is a thinner gauge than the last set I installed in my 63. I didn't measure them, but it sure feels like 21-22 gauge. I'll try and remember to mic them before install.IMG_20200413_072119.jpgIMG_20200413_072126.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Ever try that copper stuff? I got a can but it promptly blocked up after only a few uses so it just sits there on the shelf mocking me. :taunt

The zinc kind like you used just scratches off. I use the same but often wonder if I'm wasting my time.

There is one more job you need to do Jim. Get that frame spiffy'd up before you drop the pans in. (unless your doing a body off but I don't think you are) :p

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Ever try that copper stuff? I got a can but it promptly blocked up after only a few uses so it just sits there on the shelf mocking me. :taunt

The zinc kind like you used just scratches off. I use the same but often wonder if I'm wasting my time.

There is one more job you need to do Jim. Get that frame spiffy'd up before you drop the pans in. (unless your doing a body off but I don't think you are) :p
The frame is junk Bob. The body will be coming off the frame after the quarters are replaced.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Jim, did they really think you were going to put that nice floor work on that shi.. frame.? :laugh or do they just like mess'n with u? Keep up the great work.
Sure would like to know the "secret" mission project you doing. Cash $$

hfpjr76

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It sure is a lot of work Bob, but for me, it's a labor of love! And it's nice to see things come together. I'm really trying to get this floor in in the next couple weeks, before I have to start on air cleaners and another aluminum project I have in the works.
Hey Jim that spot welder you’re using is that the 110v or the 220v? Beautiful work btw!!!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I measured the floor pan metal thickness at break time. It measures .039" with the e-coat. So, it's about 20 gauge. Sure seams thinner, maybe it's just a softer metal?