62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The upper trunk is fitted and ready for welding, I think. I’ll weld it in next week. Unless I think of something that needs attention between now and then. Mike was over to help with the install and removal and install once again. Only one test and remove for prep. This piece does fit nice. We ran over to check a few measurements on one of Mike’s cars. A little jacking here and a little prying there and all good. IMG_2384.jpegIMG_2386.jpegIMG_2387.jpeg

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know I'm asking a lot here. Could you get a photo from below so we can see how it fits from that vantage point? I literally have to do the same on my 63 and it looks like you have it figured out. Any issues with the inner fenderwells meeting up correctly?

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I know I'm asking a lot here. Could you get a photo from below so we can see how it fits from that vantage point? I literally have to do the same on my 63 and it looks like you have it figured out. Any issues with the inner fenderwells meeting up correctly?
I'll try and remember to get a few pictures of the underside later today. I did have to replace some of the inner wheel well lips on both sides, but the lip is pretty flexible once the upper trunk floor is removed. So there is no problem clamping the two flanges together for a nice tight fit for plug welding. All four of the body mount captured nuts lined up very nice.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Lots of hacking and grinding today fitting up the outer wheel houses. They are clamped in place, the trunk drops are clamped on ready for a first test fit of the quarter panels. But that might not happen for a week or two. Stay tuned. IMG_2414.jpegIMG_2415.jpegIMG_2416.jpegIMG_2417.jpeg
And I can’t Waite to start wire wheeling what’s left of the old wheel houses. That ought to be a fun time.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I'm having De-ja-vu. :laugh4 I'm glad I'm done mine, I don't think I could muster up the energy these days! :impatient

Surprised you could keep the inner rear fender wells. I had to put new ones in. Nice that PA let you keep a few trinkets. :laugh4
The inner wheel houses were pretty good except where they welded to the upper trunk floor. I had to make patches for both sides. I still have one more car to do all of the same replacement panels, my 63 Bel Air. That’ll be my keeper.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
The inner wheel houses were pretty good except where they welded to the upper trunk floor. I had to make patches for both sides. I still have one more car to do all of the same replacement panels, my 63 Bel Air. That’ll be my keeper.
You don't have the 63 2dr ht any more? I thought you had started on the rear sheet metal???

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You don't have the 63 2dr ht any more? I thought you had started on the rear sheet metal???
I still have it, in the bay next to the 62. It's storage space now. I sidelined the 63 to build air cleaners, bumpers etc... Then I stole the 62 from Mike :D, thinking it would be a quick resto, I started the tearing it down. Of course more air cleaners and bumpers side lined it for a while. I stopped making air cleaners , so now I'm pushing to get the 62 finished.