62 Impala rustoration: We're going to try and save another one

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
After some test fitting, verified how different a 62 rear tail pan area is from a 63. The “cheap” lower trunk floors are 63, but they are advertised for 61-64. So a bunch of cutting and welding later, I now have a lower trunk floor. I’ll have to wait for Mike to stop over and help with another test fitting to see how everything fits now.IMG_2447.jpegIMG_2446.jpegIMG_2448.jpegIMG_2449.jpegIMG_2452.jpegIMG_2451.jpeg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Another update from today. Both quarters are getting very close to fitting. We need to work on the trunk lid gaps. May have to pull the quarters in at the rear. Next step will be take all apart and weld the brace and trunk drop offs to the floor pan. Body work and prime. Then install and work on the final quarter panel alignment.IMG_2454.jpegIMG_2456.jpegIMG_2457.jpeg

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys.
I just have to add one more thing, the braces and trunk drops are supposed to be coated in weld through primer. The stuff sticks to the metal really well, but it doesn't work like any weld thru primer I've ever used. You definitely can't spot weld anything that's coated with it.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I have had that problem, once you get an ark started you have to burn it out without burning through the base metal.

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Thanks guys.
I just have to add one more thing, the braces and trunk drops are supposed to be coated in weld through primer. The stuff sticks to the metal really well, but it doesn't work like any weld thru primer I've ever used. You definitely can't spot weld anything that's coated with it.
Hey Jim ……have a look at this video at about the 4:38 mark he’s got a little spot blaster that he uses on his pre-punched holes to get rid of the weld through primer so he has metal the metal contact…….Pretty slick