Converting standard 1962 impala to SS

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
In an effort to make this a 1 stop thread of sorts for those like me who converted standard to SS, I have decised to start this thread.

Ok so we tackled the trim inserts and grab bar installation here:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/1962-impala-question-ss-side-body-molding.27233/

We addressed the seat materials and buttons here:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/where-can-i-buy-interior-buttons.35779/#post-355709

The floor pan and Bucket seat Mounts were addressed here:

http://www.348-409.com/forum/threads/floor-pan.35536/#post-350027

I think the last question is about the holes required to mount the dash pad. Does anyone have a pic of these along with the measurements for the holes?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Right again Don :D:poke

I just added padded dashes to the frame off restoration on 2 -1962 SS 409
Convertibles in my garage. The pad around the instrument cluster has tabs that fit in the front of the dash. The
holes in the side of the dash insert are special threaded holes with one only chrome philips screws. I normally just switch the dash insert to a padded dash insert with already drilled holes for the pad. (or you can install the pad and drill the holes - I can check the one padded dash metal insert I have left, for thread & size of the chrome philips screws on each side - I save the factory padded dash screws and have access to a few more of the large philips screws for padded dashes.

For the passenger side I suggest putting white grease on the studs on the back of the passenger side dash pad. Install the pad far enough onto the dash to have the studs touch the dash -to mark with the white grease. The holes go on the center of the dash curve. You might have to ream the new dash holes out to have the pad studs fit through the holes -no problem on the holes slightly larger the dash pad will center itself.
I actually forgot to drill holes on my friends 62 SS 409 so we drilled the 2 pass side holes in a NEW painted dash - not easy, but be careful putting the pad on and off the car to test fit the holes you drill. The short side of the pad (pass side) is on the top of the dash the long side toward the floor.
I could get some pictures -when I have some time.

I just finished restoring/ disassemble and reassemble - the vent window frames on one of the 62 SS 409's with new Steele vent window rubber & vertical channel, new fuzzy/chrome bead, new glass, new rechromed pot metal outside frames and rechromed glass frames -& 4 polished stainless pieces by the vent glass. Not easy to do -took 2 days -taking pictures of the work - one more set to do for my 62 SS 409.

I also just finished adding rubber seals to polished/restored reveal molding for top of the doors and 1/4's with the staples.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As a little side note, my '62 was converted from a regular Impala to an SS by the previous owner. In my opinion, the guy did a terrific job. The interior/exterior matched everything you would see on an original SS. He really took his time and did it right. The only thing I discovered missing was the "Super Sport" horn emblem which I bought and installed. Yup, my '62 is an SS clone alright, but it looks like the real thing to me and I enjoy driving it very much. A couple of members here mentioned in a different thread that they didn't care if it was a factory SS or a clone; as long as it was done correctly. I agree, Carmine.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
While some prefer the glitz of chrome, bucket seats, and Cadillac appointments .... I bought a Chevrolet. They are widely known as a mass transportation vehicle. In some cases hot rods. My half decade search ended with a 63 Belair two door post. Love the looks, style, the basic bench seat interior popular in the day. Wouldn't add an additional piece of chrome if my life depended on it. Its a back to basics time machine. Add pie plate street slicks, raise the nose, tickle the accelerator, and row the four speed. Poetry in motion.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
While some prefer the glitz of chrome, bucket seats, and Cadillac appointments .... I bought a Chevrolet. They are widely known as a mass transportation vehicle. In some cases hot rods. My half decade search ended with a 63 Belair two door post. Love the looks, style, the basic bench seat interior popular in the day. Wouldn't add an additional piece of chrome if my life depended on it. Its a back to basics time machine. Add pie plate street slicks, raise the nose, tickle the accelerator, and row the four speed. Poetry in motion.
Agent Blue, it comes back to what you want, what you like. It's the old saying, your car, do as you please. If you're happy, great. That's all that matters, Carmine.

Agent Blue

Well Known Member
What don't you understand about " while some prefer " and " I bought ". Simple language about a choice. If your offended please read the sentence again and ask yourself if it is true there is free speech and press.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
What don't you understand about " while some prefer " and " I bought ". Simple language about a choice. If your offended please read the sentence again and ask yourself if it is true there is free speech and press.
WOW Agent Blue, if that is meant for me, I'm not sure why. You're taking things out of context. You should re-read what I said and maybe you'll understand it better. Please allow me to help you avoid your confusion. I have a '62 SS 409 clone and I love the car. I said that. I also said that it's your car and do as you please. What is meant by that is who cares what others think. Thought I was on the same page as you. Sounds like you're the one who is mistakenly offended. Certainly never my objective. "Free speech and press", not sure what that has to do with anything here, Carmine.

Cayneman

Well Known Member
Sorry guys, I'm just not into clones and have never understood the need by some that have to try and fool others. Too many have been sold off as originals. Why not just buy an SS in the first place? Definitely not worth the effort.

Gary

Last edited:

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Sorry guys, I'm just not into clones and have never understood the need by some that have to try and fool others. Too many have been sold off as originals. Why not just buy an SS in the first place? Definitely not worth the effort.

Gary
Chevrolet division could have prevented the so called "clone problems" if they would simply have designated a SS car by identifying it in the serial numbers like they did in 64 !!!
It's hard to fool anyone with a clone who knows these cars !!!!!!
And by the way.................................. If you want a cloned car, GO FOR IT ! It's your car so do as you please !!!!!!!!!!

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I finished the "clone" because when I bought the car, it already had bucket seats and a console in it which I really like. It also had the holes in the trunk lid already for the SS emblem on the passenger side. So I figured.. may as well go all the way with the classy grab bar and machined trim. When people ask I say that I did indeed clone it, not trying to deceive anyone, in my neighborhood they would come back and shoot you. Im even leaving the original cowl tag intact as proof that it is a bench seat car. I dont call it "cloning" I call it "upgrading"

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10

Gary

Speaking entirely for myself, I never have and never will misrepresent my '62 as being an original SS 409. I would never try and fool anyone. My car is a clone in the true sense of the word. I'm almost positive that my car left the factory as an anniversary gold colored Impala with a 283 engine and automatic transmission. It is now Honduras maroon with 409 4 speed. I put the 409 in myself. The previous owner did the conversion all except the engine. I bought the car because I liked what I saw and it was a fair price. I also knew that I would put a 409 in it anyway, so there goes originality. I have no regrets about buying this car. It looks identical to a real SS and that is what matters to me. Sometimes at shows or cruises, I'm asked about it being a real SS 409 and I tell the truth. Doesn't seem to bother anyone. If I ever decide to sell it, my first line in the description would be that if you want a factory '62 SS 409, this car isn't for you. It's a clone so don't bother reading any further. That's just me, Carmine.

chevy man

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Well said Carmine !!!!!! I totally agree with you !!!
I bought a brand new 62 Honduras maroon 409 impala simply because I couldn't afford the extra money it took to buy the SS package !!! So there are many reasons why there are SS cars and non SS cars!! :salute
Ken

Cayneman

Well Known Member
I didn't mean to imply that any 348-409 members would try to pass off a clone as an original but places like eBay is full of them. We've all seen them and there is lots of buyers out there not that astute to tell the difference. As usual it Buyers Beware.

Gary

Impalabricker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Does anyone know the average price for SS side moldings for the 62? I bought the metal inserts, but looking closely at my trim, it's kind of beat. I'm contemplating just buying a set already done and ready to install. Cant seem to find one anywhere that doesnt have the cheap simulated tape on it. Any ideas?

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Call Dennis Ebert.....715-325-3200....he is in Nekoosa,WI.
Believe his eBay name is Ebert's Classics. I'm sure Dennis has a set in Stock and may take yours in trade.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
The latest prices I have are at $ 40 per foot for restored original 62 Impala side trim ( I just received some restored trim at that price per foot, from Dave K. ).
The last set of restored "original" 62 Impala side trim I saw for sale was over $ 1500. That original trim was from Ebert's and was on E-Bay.
I have either restored original trim or original NOS trim (purchased years ago). Prices for restored 62 Impala side trim were at one time less than $ 1000 for the 6 pieces.
The reproduction 1962 Impala (fenders,doors & 1/4's) that is being sold is " junk" and is correctly noted as driver quality.
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Wow Paul. Didn't realize it was so expensive. I could have sworn that I saw someplace a 6 piece side set for about $700.00. This didn't include the tail light panel. I'm not even sure they have a repo for that. Mine is very nice driver quality and I'm thinking about replacing the sides one day, but I think I'm going to be a while longer. Just wondering Paul, if the SS tail light panel can be restored at $40.00 per foot??? Thanks, Carmine.