Don's gone Crazy Stroker, 1966 C-10

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Just out of curiosity what was the cast? about $1600?

$2200 plus some ship.. Stainless, 1 7/8th, 3" collectors and the clamp style ends.

My experience...

It's a lot of labor and although I could have found cheaper I dont know that if have the same confidence. They chat with you to learn what you need, spec of your project, send a kit, you can call as much as needed. When they received ours, they call again and confirm things and in our case sent a flange to recheck everything.. Top notch.

Hopefully they bolt up and were set, but if not they will fix till perfect..

So in my brain, if it was 3'4,5 I could have saved, I might have had issues and been screwed, so totally ok with it.

Junky

Well Known Member
When you are this far into an expensive project, it isn't the time to start cheapening out on the finishing details. I have seen this happen so often, 90% of the project is completed to perfection, then something clicks in their brain that they don't want to spend any more money on the project, and they start taking short cuts to complete the project. A few months to a year later, those "short cuts" start to nag at them, and they eventually do the right thing and correct them. Other times, they just sell the project off for someone else to finish, and never see the fruits of their initial labor. You are doing a great job! Bet that you can't wait for the warm weather in April when you can put the pedal to the metal!!

Junky

Well Known Member
It isn't the cold, it is the heavily salted roads. Some of the new ice treatments that they are putting down now, actually can put a coating onto your cars undercarriage, and continue to cause rust issues for years to come. With all the work he is putting into this car, I doubt that he would want to loose the body to rust in a few years. I always wait for a heavy rain to wash the salt off the roads, before taking any of my old cars out of storage.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You guys nailed it. When it snows here they really pound the place with salt, but it works nice in a way. It melts the snow real fast and cleans off the road within a day or two. Nothing like crusin in the nice cold air, wakes up Betsy and cant wait to light them up with the truck!!

409 driven by a tank of bald eagle power! .HA@!..

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
When you are this far into an expensive project, it isn't the time to start cheapening out on the finishing details. I have seen this happen so often, 90% of the project is completed to perfection, then something clicks in their brain that they don't want to spend any more money on the project, and they start taking short cuts to complete the project. A few months to a year later, those "short cuts" start to nag at them, and they eventually do the right thing and correct them. Other times, they just sell the project off for someone else to finish, and never see the fruits of their initial labor. You are doing a great job! Bet that you can't wait for the warm weather in April when you can put the pedal to the metal!!

Thanks Junky, couldn't agree more. Couldn't see wearing flip flops in a tux, if that makes sense :>)....

We went through the build picking the best stuff built by the best people, Don's cam secrets, Bobs heads, Carl putting all the pieces together and now GPHeaders. Could of saved on all the pieces, but in my mind, the folks out there making a living keeping us on the road deserve a check and our admiration for their sacrifice. Not easy doing what they do and feel a lot better knowing my dollar goes to them instead of someone in china pumping out shit from a jig that uses a spec STOLEN from here in the USA...

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Im not excited or anything but TODAY is the day the headers should arrive!!! HA! Woke up like a kid at 4am and sitting here looking out the window for UPS, hahahahaha!!!!!! I'll post some pics tonight if they show and a few of the little "tinker" things.. Next project almost should be here soon too, bought Rays eddy for Betsy and will be swapping that out..... Never enough....

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Whoohhoo, just came in and I put them up and poke fits great, the other just touches the bell housing and will do a bit of grinding tomorrow. Cant do much more today, Valentine's day... I'd rather pay tonight with flowers than a lifetime of apologies and beatings..

I'll post tomorrow!!

Attachments

• 20190214_162849.jpg
    20190214_162849.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 31

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Today was a test of patients and went south a few times. Didnt get started till later in the afternoon when Avery to get back from work and we spent 2 1/2 hours and still dont have a header on... The header has been up and down more than a piston in a 1/4 race.....

We tackled the harder of the two sides first, the passenger side. One of the runners hit the bell-housing so we had to do a bit of grinding (see averys happy face) and also had to put dimple in the header. Up and down the header went as we made out tweaks without going too far and finally had it right to only realize the war hadnt even begun!

We fought like Rocky against Mr T to get the bolts in and simply failed. The bolts would start with the fingers only to pop out with a wrench, then only one end would fit but not both. When they did start they wanted to cross, so we pulled everything down and placed the gasket against the head and that lined up perfect. We placed the gasket against the flange and it was way off.

We hogged out the holes and were successful up unto the very last bolt on the pass side but the boss called for dinner.

Well get back at it after some more hogging on the holes, maybe sunday afternoon....

One of those days...

20190215_151329.jpg
20190215_143830.jpg
20190215_143642.jpg
20190215_143619.jpg

20190215_192638.jpg20190215_192644 (2).jpg

Attachments

• 20190215_143622.jpg
    20190215_143622.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 20190215_192638.jpg
    20190215_192638.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 8

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Well, not fast but have one side done and creeping closer to finish line, I'll have to re-hook up the alt and bracket but everything works and will pull the clutch feed line off the header... Hopefully tomorrow I can get some time and work the other side on and do the final touches...

The throttle linkage is still proving challenging. LA had a great idea on the bracket but in my execution its causing it to initially push the throttle body linkage up, not straight back.. I ordered the the following items from Lokar and Fast and hopefully have it licked soon...

20190218_154852.jpg

20190218_154855.jpg

Attachments

• pedal.JPG
    pedal.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    22.4 KB · Views: 9

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Not to sound grouff, the way the one tube has drawn in from the weld, you should have call those guys and my guess they will make it right. :dunno2

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Not to sound grouff, the way the one tube has drawn in from the weld, you should have call those guys and my guess they will make it right. :dunno2

Hi LA, which one? If its the long one and you mean it pulls in towards the head, its the way I did the mock up. When it drops down I needed it closer to the inside to miss the frame. The flange not lining up was a pain in the butt, especially after the sent one to be sure but not so bent up about it considering they dont come across 409's that often :>)...