FH 348 Block

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have a question on this block I just got. It's 348 011 block cast C15 60 with a build code T0325FH stamped on it. My question is, Isn't this a little early for an FH? Everything I've read seems to say the FH didn't come into the picture until April 1st. The casting date and build date seem right being 10 days apart. It doesn't look to have been decked and restamped. Thanks for any thoughts.
Rick
72D9DF1A-50FD-4F81-B747-1708A6BC4196-2327-000003F1051FAEC2_zps69afbf37.jpg

24EA5486-1AD0-46B8-9036-A2E52B60CBE1-2327-000003F138C1B361_zps164f859c.jpg

EBD27540-FFAA-4A0E-9E37-EF151816A91B-2327-000003F15FD3DDE1_zps91f8c55e.jpg

Sorry about the pictures, I haven't unloaded it out of my Jeep yet. I was a little excited.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Seems to me it's splitting hairs 3-25 vs 4-1
On the re-decked issue, are those circular marks as opposed to a proper broach mark?

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
It's possible since the TSB states that the FH entered production "approximately April 1". I have one of the early 1147 heads dated C 60 so I suspect they were casting up in March for assembly on 1 April.
As for the "broach marks", W engines don't have proper longitudinal broach marks like the other Chevy blocks due to the 74 degree deck angle not being compatible with the big broach machines. They should all have circular milling marks.

GCAMINO

Supporting Member 1
Ricky
Boy. you found another deal. You must have some good friends out there looking for you.
Gordie

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
These are the heads that it came with. The 1147 is a little beat up, but I think it's still usable. The 586 seems pretty nice. I'd love to find a match to it. I think I did pretty good on this deal. I gave him $500 for everything. Oh yea.... these was a dual quad Offehouser and a set of beat up headers that I already sold. I hope the block is ok... it has a repair on one side and is already .060 over... fingers crossed....

FE181FB7-9162-4C7D-A47D-100A242C28C6-2327-000003F19C208169_zps3328930e.jpg

17603D6B-938F-41CD-BC39-151EAD5632CA-2327-000003F1C253086F_zps10b404e2.jpg

DA1737B7-EC6E-456D-AACD-F7E70189A643-2327-000003F1ECDB8B96_zpsa172e88b.jpg

6CDF185C-2CE0-4DED-9A3C-0CD6277E9025-2327-000003F21775B159_zps28070664.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Well, I guess this is going to turn into a build thread. I just dropped it off at my buddy's shop to have him check it out and put the short block together. He seemed to think the pistons and block are going to be fine. With any kind of luck, I should have a fresh engine in my 61 by spring. I'm pumped... The one that's in there still runs pretty good, but she's tired. I've driven it a lot in the 18 or so years I've had it.... It's just time!!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks!!! It's going to be a slow process, I will definitely keep everyone posted, as I know how much I enjoy following all your builds. I was thinking of building a stroker with a 409 crank that I have, but since this deal came with a crank already cut 10/10, the economical thing to do is use that. The pistons are interesting.... their .060 vintage Jahns racing pistons that have been knurled. In the words of my builder "they've been up and down a few times"
Rick

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Hey Rick, you did good on that one! The block will look right at home in your '61, as I recall yours was with factory tripower as well. Gonna use your existing intake and carbs?

You didn't happen to get it out of Michigan, did you? I found an FH on Ebay out of southern MI a few years back, I think he had more stuff at the time.

I hope everything turns out good on inspection. I like the commentary from your builder :).

Cheers!
TomK

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Hey Rick, you did good on that one! The block will look right at home in your '61, as I recall yours was with factory tripower as well. Gonna use your existing intake and carbs?

You didn't happen to get it out of Michigan, did you? I found an FH on Ebay out of southern MI a few years back, I think he had more stuff at the time.

I hope everything turns out good on inspection. I like the commentary from your builder :).

Cheers!
TomK
Tom,
I got this in Brookpark, over by the airport. I'm sure you remember where that is:hide
Yes, I plan on using my existing intake and carbs, I've been trying to get the bugs worked out of them and their working really well with the progressive linkage, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get them to open with the factory vacuum set up. Maybe not enough vaccum in the whipped old motor??

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Maybe you can freshen that block with the already cut 348 crank and Jahn's pistons.......and while you are running it you can rebuild your current / tired engine as a stroker and really take your time with it.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Brookpark, that area is in my old stomping grounds! We used to park near the airport with our girl friends and "watch the submarines come in" (old local joke related to necking and petting). You've been to the house where I grew up, Mom still lives there after 60+ years :). For those of you who attend our annual get together at Thompson, that's in the suburbs of Cleveland, less than an hour away to the West.

I'm glad you were able to locate and rescue those pieces, I do hope they clean up and crack check well!

Best, Tom

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Tom,
I got this in Brookpark, over by the airport. I'm sure you remember where that is:hide
Yes, I plan on using my existing intake and carbs, I've been trying to get the bugs worked out of them and their working really well with the progressive linkage, but I just can't seem to figure out how to get them to open with the factory vacuum set up. Maybe not enough vaccum in the whipped old motor??

Ricky, Just wondering, do you have the factory vaccum canister that stores vaccum to operate the factory 3x2 set up. Without the canister, you may not ever get them to work. If you do not have the factory canister, I have used a large Libby tomato juice can and epoxy a in and out fitting. One to manifold vaccum and one to the slider valve. This has worked for me in the past. I have two complete 3x2 factory set up with all the hardware (restored).

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Same vacuum reserve tank as power brakes. Usually readily available on ebay.
Or you could install an electrovac except those get pricy since the 57 Chevy FI guys need them to be correct. I only have 2.

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Same vacuum reserve tank as power brakes. Usually readily available on ebay.
Or you could install an electrovac except those get pricy since the 57 Chevy FI guys need them to be correct. I only have 2.

Cecil, I do have CRS, but I remember a vaccun tank on the driver side, tucked between the inter fender wheelhouse and fender on 59 & 60s without power brakes. I think I am correct on this:scratch. But I was wrong once before.

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I have the vaccum tank mounted on the fender well behind the hood hinge, the check valve and tee on the back of the center carb, and of course the slider valve. It looks just like the pictures in the assembly manual:dunno
I will try to get some pics this week if I ever get home from work before dark.