FH 348 Block

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Ricky:

Nice that you had that virgin 962 block laying around! Are all the 962s "service replacement blocks"? Does that have a blank front pad?

Good luck on the build, can't wait to see it in Great Bend. You should stop by on your way out, maybe we can caravan with a bunch of guys?

Cheers!
TomK

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ricky:

Nice that you had that virgin 962 block laying around! Are all the 962s "service replacement blocks"? Does that have a blank front pad?

Good luck on the build, can't wait to see it in Great Bend. You should stop by on your way out, maybe we can caravan with a bunch of guys?

Cheers!
TomK
Tom, yes this has a blank pad, It was a complete short block when I got it. I will definitely be interested in stopping by on the way and caravaning sounds fun

Last edited:

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the compliments guys.... been collecting parts for this for a while... the short block is going to be .030 over, 6.135 big block rods, 409 crank.....shooting for around 10.0/1 compression ratio. I have a nice set of 1147's that we will be reworking after the short block is done, then my factory intake and carbs I have on there now, probably going with a set of Doug's headers... at least that's the plan as of now.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A little progress... the bore and hone is done...
9C021F58-B12C-4610-B3BA-18AF320ADCC3.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A little more progress.. Block is decked, one side had to get cut from .043 to .032, and the other .027 to .037 to get the pistons at zero...
2E6A285E-7C90-49AD-B987-746B677D05F3.jpg

071E0D3D-CE23-425E-9E80-7D414E230021.jpg

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Ricky...........
I hope you cleaned up that casting flash in the valley.
Yep Randy... That's on my list to do before we assemble... along with the water pump openings... Thanks for the tip. Any other areas any areas I should address with the die grinder??
Thanks,
Rick

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I would never use a die grinder on an engine I am ready to assemble. The flashing that is there is less of a problem than the metal particles you would create.

Just my opinion.

Bill

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I always removed all the flashing before I took the block to the machine shop for hot tank, cleaning, etc. I also have a several grinding bits that I clean out all the crud from anti-freeze from the holes in the block to the cylinder head. Be sure to get the little ones in the block and the elongated ones in the heads around the spark plug bosses. It's amazing sometimes how they can get almost closed off from corrosion. Bill's right...I think...if you are going to grind flashing now...take the block back to the machine shop to re-clean!!!!

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Been a while since I posted an update on my build, hasn't been too much happening with the engine till lately. I just got the cam back from Isky from being reground...
CBCB49ED-6A1A-4E85-AE7A-107D1013FD25.jpg

Took it out to the engine shop to see how things were going and he was working on the heads, he had the guides done and is working on the studs... The short block was all assembled and wrapped in plastic otherwise I would have taken some pics... He says it will be done in plenty of time for me to get it in the car for the big show... Fingers crossed.
Rick

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thought I'd share some of the other upgrades I've been doing to my '61 in the last few weeks... I've put together another transmission and got it installed in the car. It's a cast iron cased super T 10 with a steel center bearing support. It is the first one I've put together by myself.:pray I've put about 200 miles on it so far and it shifts sweet!
4B1AEC08-3ACF-40AB-9E11-FE9B4C61F12B.jpg

640C859B-FEF1-4441-BFFB-1D816B6D7FEA.jpg

Tonight I switched the rear center section, got rid of the peg leg 3:55 I've had in there and finally put in the nice 3:70 posi I bought for it years ago...
77CEE57D-509C-4C00-9597-B398F40C42C8.jpg

2C41DC3F-3559-4452-95CC-3ED14D59A479.jpg

B664D1FB-8CC3-43A8-B9F9-16EEC54BFC78.jpg

I can't wait till the engines ready!! I'm getting anxious!
Rick​

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You guys and your fancy tools. I use a brake drum flipped backwards with a couple lugnuts loosely screwed on. Grab and pull. Works like a charm :brow

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Short block... He was working on my heads this morning when I popped in... It's looking good:clap
Rick
51A3599D-CF3D-412D-B94B-4AF397BB98A9.jpg