LF brake getting hot!

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I think I would want a small amount of clearance on the pushrod, maybe 1/16" to 1/18". About the thickness of a gasket anyways. You can always put a piece of clay on the pushrod, assemble, disassemble and check the thickness.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think I would want a small amount of clearance on the pushrod, maybe 1/16" to 1/18". About the thickness of a gasket anyways. You can always put a piece of clay on the pushrod, assemble, disassemble and check the thickness.
.030" is the technically correct amount, Exact doesn't matter as long as it isn't pushing on the master plunger

bobs409

Administrator
Is there supposed to be a gasket in between the master and booster? If so, that would move it out a tad.

Now here is the thing... I just drove it all over my area and it's working great now! Absolutely no pull, stops nice and when I got back, both front hubs were the same temps. (only light warm, normal)

I have to drive it some more yet to be sure but I think it would have been acting up by now.

bobs409

Administrator
The only thing I changed was the small 5 inch long line. I took it off to make sure it wasn't blocked but the end got twisted so I can't tell. Hose is clear. I made a new line and bled the LH side. That's all I did. (other than pull the master away from booster to check that)

bobs409

Administrator
That's for manual brakes. I wonder if there's such a thing for power brakes?

So I have another report. I took the car back out for about 20 more miles of driving. It is doing great but when I got back I checked the temp of the hubs and the LH was just a "skosh" warmer. So I'm not sure if it's fixed yet! :wacko I can safely say it's a BIG improvement!

I have to get some gas for it and continue "testing" another day. (my favorite part) :D

I was thinking, if I do need to ease up on that rod to master, I can probably drill the back of the piston out a little. (whatever amount is needed) Unless someone knows how to adjust this.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's for manual brakes. I wonder if there's such a thing for power brakes?

So I have another report. I took the car back out for about 20 more miles of driving. It is doing great but when I got back I checked the temp of the hubs and the LH was just a "skosh" warmer. So I'm not sure if it's fixed yet! :wacko I can safely say it's a BIG improvement!

I have to get some gas for it and continue "testing" another day. (my favorite part) :D

I was thinking, if I do need to ease up on that rod to master, I can probably drill the back of the piston out a little. (whatever amount is needed) Unless someone knows how to adjust this.

Two flat washers is much cheaper and has same result

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You can make a gasket, just get the material and cut it out if you feel better about having it sealed. I have made gaskets for lawn mower and other stuff. Really easy if you have the hole punchers,which I don't but they are obtainable.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
You can make a gasket, just get the material and cut it out if you feel better about having it sealed. I have made gaskets for lawn mower and other stuff. Really easy if you have the hole punchers,which I don't but they are obtainable.
If you do not have punches and shoot guns like me, use your old brass as a punch. Used this a lot when I was younger when I would make gaskets. I made many gaskets from cereal boxes and brown paper bags. If it worked 40 years ago it should still work today.

bobs409

Administrator
I have a set of Harbor Freight specials. :D Even have some gasket material. Didn't get to it today as I feel like garbage.

I'm going to road test some more first. If it overheats again, I will try the gasket/spacer trick for a test.