LF brake getting hot!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
No but I will try it next.

I just tried the other new drum and indicator on the outer face and that was .50 thousandths out. Then I put the old one on and it's only .15.
Hubs are ok??? So then drums need resurfacing sounds like to me . Whats your opinion????

bobs409

Administrator
With the RH drum swapped over, and brake adjusted out to make contact, it's hitting in one spot as well.

:cuss

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You could not resurface old drums because at limits now discard is 11.08 what 58 delivery said and its stamped on new drums. So new drums were in order but resurfacing is probably going to be the fix.

blkss64

Well Known Member
If you are still having this problem, have you checked the backing plate contact points where the shoes rest? I have seen a ton of backing plates have pretty deep wear marks into the plates due to lack of lubricant. This keeps the shoes from sliding easily. Just another thought. I have not reread this post. Maybe already mentioned?

bobs409

Administrator
If you are still having this problem, have you checked the backing plate contact points where the shoes rest? I have seen a ton of backing plates have pretty deep wear marks into the plates due to lack of lubricant. This keeps the shoes from sliding easily. Just another thought. I have not reread this post. Maybe already mentioned?
I did check the contact areas and all looked really good. I'm just waiting for the next nice day so I can get back to work on this.

bobs409

Administrator
Surprise! I was working on the Impala again. :D (not that I wanted to, I forced myself!)

Pulled master from booster and the rod might be pushing the master a slight bit upon tightening the bolts but if so, not too bad. Should there be slop there? No real easy way to measure it. I see no way to adjust that rod!!! It spins but that's all it does. It does not pull out more than 1/2".

I would love to crank this in a little for a test but don't see a way of doing so. ????

Other than that, I removed the small line that goes to the LF from a small 4 way junction block on the frame. Of course it twisted so I had to make a new one!!! :angry

As near as I can tell, it was not plugged. I took the brake hose off and it's clear, can blow air thru both ways.

That's where I am at now. Might take if for a spin later. Not expecting anything got fixed though from today's debacle.

I still would like to pull the LF wheel cylinder apart and make sure it's good. After that I am out of ideas.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Since you don't have the tool for checking booster pin length just install a flat washer between master and booster on each post to move master outward a wee bit. Should answer concern