Votes: 13 72.2%
  • 700R4

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Honestly, if the car had come as a 4 speed car I would run with that but going to bother to change, I'd go 700R4 in a heartbeat.

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I hear you but I kind of have my heart set on a clutch now. When I bought the 63 I had been looking for a 4 speed car for a long time and as I plan to keep the car until I die I may as well make it the way I want it. I have also moved away from the single 4 barrel setup that would match the automatic (I have an intake that will be for sale) so I can truly have the 4 speed, dual quad, posi-traction 409......giddy up!
Might be kind of stupid and cost prohibitive to do all this but I have pissed away a lot of money over the years on stuff dumber than this.

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Dumb, hell no. Guys have gotten divorced for less. My 60 Chevy has a 700R4. When I first put it together I planned for a cruiser, 348, three two's, 4:11 rear gear. I was making long thruway trips to shows all over. The 700R4 fit the bill perfectly with the 4:11 rear gear and the 3.06 1st gear in the tranny. Even with the 4.56 gear in the rear now I can cruise @ 70mph under 3000 rpm. BUT, my GTO has a four speed and it takes me back to the day when all my cars were stick. Auto's have their place in history. When mopar entered the muscle car race the Torqueflite was the tranny for street racing.

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
4 speeds are a whole lot more fun, I have 5 of them. Of course, you should also have a few with automatics for parades or at least a low side in the rear end like my C80, so you can get out and walk beside it in the parade.

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I've now got two 64's (love the heck out of them) one is a PG, the other is a 4 speed, one has a perfect body/paint the other not so much, its a long term project, but in the near future, I am going to run the 409, with the PG and 4:11 gears posi unit I bought, I may not like it for the whiplash effect, But since I have three different rear ends(3.08, 3:56 or :55, cannot remember) to play with, I'll just keep playing with it to find the right mix, but the goal is the 409 with the 4 speed at the end of the day, the rear ends, I'll just keep swapping my units in and out till I find the right fit for me. I am running 29.5 tires