My 409 build

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Gonna be a thumper^^ Looks good what are ya puttin' it in??

My dad had a roman red, red interior, 409 ( 1 4 carb ), 4speed car he bought new in 62. His car was a Belair bubble top too boot. I cant afford a car like that but I would like to copy it !

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I just need to decide which direction I am going to go on these heads now. Leave them alone, mild or wild.

Are those cometic head gaskets?

I'm in the same boat on what to do with my new Edelbrock heads. I have decided (for $$ reasons) to run them as is for now and then pull them after a year or two for the full CNC treatment. That way round two should less than $1500 for the porting, shipping, gaskets, etc. A lot less painful in the wallet area that way.

That looks like a good sweep pattern on the valve tip without a rocker. Your geometry and pushrod length should be okay.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Yes they are, .040 thick.

Who offers a CNC option for these heads ?

I would like to be around 500 to 550 HP with this motor but we have never done ANYTHING with a 409 before so I have no idea what it takes to get that with this thing.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
SD Performance is who has been highly recommended to me from members here. The Edelbrock heads are listed as flowing 277 I / 221 E in stock form and SD's CNC program is supposed to carve the way to 330-340 I / 250-260 E. They charge $1000 for the port work and a 5 angle valve job. Not to bad of a deal for the improvement.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
That does sound like a good deal. I'm just not sure if I need that to do what I want to do. Like I say, I just want to be between 500 and 550 HP and around 450 torque. I just wish I knew more about these motors and what they liked and don't like.

Thanks for the info by the way ! I'll check them out

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It looks like you should be in the 500 HP ballpark or very close to it without having them ported.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
I think so too. I'm just trying to be conservative and not get my expectations to high and to be honest I would love to see it a lot closer to 550 than 500 or even pass the 550 mark. More is always better HAHA

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Well third time was the charm ! All the slugs are back in there bore, piston to valve is good ( .113 ) and compression is right there where I wanted it. Things are looking up !

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kevin is that a second design edelbrock water pump? And I don't know if I missed it, but what are you going to run for carbs/carb? Looks good though. Our motors are very close on the builds.

Jeff

SSpev

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Boy I would sur like to see dyno numbers on this one. Look like a direction that I might have went. 500 hp would be about it maybe.:dunno If you get more that should give me incentive to get mine up. As a comparison _ more cubes, my cam non roller solid is a little bigger - 280/284 @.050 -250/254 .582/.594 net lift, less CR 9.4. Pistons are heavy.... mine are light at 620 gr. your's are lighter than stk 1000gr:eek The heads can be improved, but I think they can support 500 HP below 6000rpm. Good luck

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Kevin is that a second design edelbrock water pump? And I don't know if I missed it, but what are you going to run for carbs/carb? Looks good though. Our motors are very close on the builds.

Jeff
To be totally honest Jeff I don't know. I wasn't even aware there was a first and second design ( maybe you can fill me in on the difference ).

As it stands now the plan is to buy one of Aubrey's intakes and go fuel injection. Either the Eddy E Street or FAST 2.0 fuel injection. There is still a slim chance that ( depending on work ) I will go with the Hilborn EFI stack injection. I have one on my Willys and LOVE it but they are a lot of $$$$ !