My 409 build

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Boy I would sur like to see dyno numbers on this one. Look like a direction that I might have went. 500 hp would be about it maybe.:dunno If you get more that should give me incentive to get mine up. As a comparison _ more cubes, my cam non roller solid is a little bigger - 280/284 @.050 -250/254 .582/.594 net lift, less CR 9.4. Pistons are heavy.... mine are light at 620 gr. your's are lighter than stk 1000gr:eek The heads can be improved, but I think they can support 500 HP below 6000rpm. Good luck

The plan is to dyno it for sure and I will post results but that is a ways down the road. Have some good ideas for the heads. The shop has a guy that lives on the flow bench and seems anxious to work on them, something different for him I guess.

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Boy I would sur like to see dyno numbers on this one. Look like a direction that I might have went. 500 hp would be about it maybe.:dunno If you get more that should give me incentive to get mine up. As a comparison _ more cubes, my cam non roller solid is a little bigger - 280/284 @.050 -250/254 .582/.594 net lift, less CR 9.4. Pistons are heavy.... mine are light at 620 gr. your's are lighter than stk 1000gr:eek The heads can be improved, but I think they can support 500 HP below 6000rpm. Good luck

That's a good size cam...what do you have for cubic inch ? How did you get pistons that light ?

Thanks...you too !

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
To be totally honest Jeff I don't know. I wasn't even aware there was a first and second design ( maybe you can fill me in on the difference ).

I'd like to know the same thing since I didn't know there were 2 designs either. I've got a brand new Edelbrock #8858 WP that I will probably be selling soon, but according to the date on the box it is from 2008 so I'd guess it's the 1st design. Is that a bad thing? I'm planning to use an electric water pump on mine.

Clyde Waldo

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I think I remember reading that the early Edelbrock water pumps had a slight interference issue between a couple of the water pump back cover fasteners and the engine timing chain cover.

Someone must know for sure.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So not so much a design change as they added an uplevel option. Is there a problem with the standard one?

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Congrats on the new family member. Looks good!

What is under the hood of the Monte Carlo?

Kevin Green

Well Known Member
Congrats on the new family member. Looks good!

What is under the hood of the Monte Carlo?

Thanks Ron...pretty stoked to finally get the deal done ! I'm not a real big fan of the cragers but they will work for now.

The Monte has a 496 in it