My 63 Impala SS restoration

Well Known Member
I tried the 553 bell housing on the Borg and Warner transmission, aluminum retainer too small. I have an early 64 Muncie M21 transmission transmission with a cast-iron retainer fit correctly. I wonder if it’s interchangeable?9A7EADE7-BB92-4BBF-93FA-974697FA7E6B.jpeg1F9F5BA1-9F71-4E18-B57A-C4E71C4E39D3.jpegDB302BCD-1A95-4C38-9B82-1991562CEFB4.jpeg

Well Known Member
Early 64 Muncie 3851326 cast-iron retainer that I have fits 553 bell housing I show in the picture with the measuring tape, wondering if the 604932 cast iron retainer has the same diameter. Does anybody know?
9DE781D9-EB5A-43FA-8B1B-FB4B030F6CD4.jpeg

Well Known Member
I just checked this one to see if it fits a muncie case that I have setting around and the bolt pattern is not the same. Muncie has a larger bolt pattern.
My 63 Borg and Warner transmission was a one year only, I also have a Muncie early 64 transmission where I can cross check the iron retainer bolt pattern. I am a numbers guy so I guess if I can find the Muncie 604932 cast iron retainer that should have the right diameter to fit the 553 bell housing and bolt pattern for my Borg and Warner that will be the part I want.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Once you find a retainer that will bolt up, you will want to check the front bearing retention design- nut or snap ring. If I remember correctly, my BW T10 with the small retainer uses a nut on the input shaft. The retainer is machined for that retainer nut. If the replacement retainer was from a transmission with a snap ring, it may not fit correctly or hold the front bearing in position properly.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you notice in the picture I posted, you can see that the bolts are further inboard of the outer ring of the retainer on the B/W than your Muncie.
This is telling me that the Muncie has a larger front bearing than the B/W.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just remembered that I got a front bearing retainer from Cajun John, several years ago, that fit my T10 and the larger truck bell housing. I'm thinking he told me it was from a Saginaw transmission, but I'm not 100% sure.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I just remembered that I got a front bearing retainer from Cajun John, several years ago, that fit my T10 and the larger truck bell housing. I'm thinking he told me it was from a Saginaw transmission, but I'm not 100% sure.

That is what this old 3 speed is.
What about using a spacer ring to make up the difference?

Well Known Member
If you notice in the picture I posted, you can see that the bolts are further inboard of the outer ring of the retainer on the B/W than your Muncie.
This is telling me that the Muncie has a larger front bearing than the B/W.
The Muncie does have a larger front bearing retainer which fits the 553 bell housing but the bolt pattern isn’t the same as my 63 Borg and Warner which has a smaller front bearing retainer and to small for the 553 bell housing.
First picture is the Borg and Warner which has 4 inches in diameter front bearing retainer and second picture below is the early 1964 Muncie with a diameter of 4 1/2 inches and the bolts don’t lineup with my Borg and Warner. Third picture is with the 553 bell housing and its diameter is 4 1/2 inches just like the Muncie but the Borg and Warner bearing retainer diameter is too small and the bolts don’t lineup with my Muncie front bearing retainer.
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Bell housing with the correct hole :dunno2
A good machinist can make a spacer ring so you can just bolt in your transmission with no changes. This could be an option if the bell housing number is the same between the small and big hole.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
You may be able to use 1/4" steel or aluminum square stock to make a spacer ring for the small retainer.