My new project just reared it's ugly head...

bobs409

Administrator
Just won't get going, giving it gas stalls it. No lifter noise and it cranks over smoothly, not fighting like too much timing would do.

I'm starting to question the balancer itself. The old engine codes came out to be from an 84 Camaro or Monte Carlo 305. Not sure if the balancer was correct on it as it looks big but I transferred it over to this engine. There were 2 timing tabs that came with the engine, I think I got the right one on. If not, maybe I'm not set on TDC.

Going to re-evaluate this. The brain cells are churning... :D

Here's that balancer:

DSCN5826.jpg

bobs409

Administrator
Tomorrow I'm gonna make a piston stop tool and really verify TDC. :deal I think this has to be the problem but we'll see. :drama

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Is that Hei an older unit/and is the vacuum advance hooked up? If so,unhook the vacuum advance and see how it runs.Also in what shape is the fuel hose between the frame and the fuel pump ?

bobs409

Administrator
Is that Hei an older unit/and is the vacuum advance hooked up? If so,unhook the vacuum advance and see how it runs.Also in what shape is the fuel hose between the frame and the fuel pump ?
Typical 70-80's HEI. New vac can and it is hooked up. I put new fuel hose and a filter before pump.

Do you have a full 12 volts going to the HEI?

Yeah, nothing was changed there.

Gonna be a lot of rain today but hope to work in between the rain drops and verify my timing is set right. It HAS to be timing. (I think) :D

bobs409

Administrator
Well, it runs! Cam is broken in and I went for a small drive.

From what I could tell, I had the timing set right all along. I didn't even pull the distributor, it's the same as yesterday. I did find this must be a 305 balancer as the timing mark is at the 12 o'clock position when I set this at 12 degrees btdc. I made a new mark so I can use the timing tab I have. I think it might have just been flooded yesterday. When I pulled the plugs, they had a strong gas smell and a bit of wetness.

On the drive, it does seem a bit sluggish and I'm getting a few light pops in the exhaust on deceleration. Hoping that's just the timing too far retarded. Gonna take a break and might advance it and re-test. I think I might test the cylinder pressures tomorrow just to make sure there are no dead cylinders and make sure all is good there.

As usual, my projects turn out like soap opera's. :laugh4 Too much drama for my liking. Glad the damn thing runs again, it was getting me down. :pout

Gotta get back to the 63!!!! :happy

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
:appl BOB: Anybody in your family named Murphy?:dunno Did you, step in Dog $hit, or break a Mirror. I've heard of Bad Luck, but WTH.:doh Glad it's running.:clap

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I Would find TDC on # 1 cylinder by checking piston to very top and investigate the dampener ,did it slip the outer ring ???I would get tab 0 mark to line up with dampener mark , other wise you really don't know where your timing is for sure.Are you sure on the mark on dampener as there is a wider groove and a faint line for the timing mark that I have seen on some dampener's.

bobs409

Administrator
Got 2 pics of it. Not much to look at but it's a driver that lives outside, no point going crazy with details. I will be starting soon on a custom air cleaner once I decide exactly what I want.

I had a choice of left or right dipstick and since it has power brakes, I went on the right side. Much easier to check it there.

Weather was on my side today anyhow. It didn't rain until I was done. That was a nice change. :)

DSCN5868.jpg DSCN5869.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Yeah,that air cleaner has to go!!! Glass bead the master cylinder cover ,clear it and I would call it good for a driver.