My new project just reared it's ugly head...

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
We have them here too, they are about 1 cubic inch in size and shape and like bright lights.

bobs409

Administrator
It's picture time again! :D

It's cold out but I got the engine in. A little drama getting the input shaft to line up. :drama

Tomorrow it's gonna be 35 degrees here, can't wait to work on this again. :shudder

DSCN5824.jpg DSCN5825.jpg DSCN5826.jpg DSCN5827.jpg DSCN5828.jpg DSCN5829.jpg DSCN5830.jpg

Check out the nifty hooks that came with this! Gonna use these again for sure.

Oh yeah, before anyone says it, yes I did cut the radiator support. It's just a repro support on a driver truck. Not something I'd do to a show vehicle but it sure made things a lot easier! (Chevy should have designed supports with a removable top) :rub :think

Well, I need a nap. :sleep3

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
You're right, Jim.:doh It looks tiny, in there.:rolleyesBob, got the small SBC. :dunno2 Is that Over spray,on the firewall, Bob?:dunno

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I hate to say this,but youve left out a bolt on the front of the engine[pass.side].If not corrected,you'll have an oil .leak.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Where's Phil Reed and his organ? :laugh2 :drums
He never leave's home without it!!!!:D
It's picture time again! :D

It's cold out but I got the engine in. A little drama getting the input shaft to line up. :drama

Tomorrow it's gonna be 35 degrees here, can't wait to work on this again. :shudder

View attachment 41939 View attachment 41940 View attachment 41941 View attachment 41942 View attachment 41943 View attachment 41944 View attachment 41945

Check out the nifty hooks that came with this! Gonna use these again for sure.

Oh yeah, before anyone says it, yes I did cut the radiator support. It's just a repro support on a driver truck. Not something I'd do to a show vehicle but it sure made things a lot easier! (Chevy should have designed supports with a removable top) :rub :think

Well, I need a nap. :sleep3
:wtfYou did not paint firewall the inner fender's the booster and:blah:blah:blah

bobs409

Administrator
I hate to say this,but youve left out a bolt on the front of the engine[pass.side].If not corrected,you'll have an oil .leak.

Actually the hole doesn't go all the way thru. I did check that yesterday. Guess it's a Mexican thing? :D

He never leave's home without it!!!!:D

:wtfYou did not paint firewall the inner fender's the booster and:blah:blah:blah

May I remind you sir, it's DECEMBER! I don't do things like that this time of the year. :D Maybe someday... :p

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
June Bugs, are some sort of Japanese Beetle.:dohThey are usually Brown, and the size of a quarter. They seem to come around, in June, July or August. Not a Scary bug, just a nuisance.:doh I got hit, in the lip, one day, doing 50 mph on my bike.:eek1I had to pull over. For about 3 days, I looked like I had a "Hair-Lip":rolleyes :teehee:laugh2
Was that in June or July Skip...:poke

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Is everything from GM made in Mexico these days? I bought a new GM cap, rotor and plug wires and all of them say made in Mexico too! I bet the government likes that, all that missed out tax money. :D

Guess I'll have to take this out to Taco Bell when it's running. :laugh3
Better paint Chebby on the valve covers Bob...:poke Looks great,,,:deal

bobs409

Administrator
With the weather lately (lots of rain) this has taken longer than expected. Finally today I finished and fired it up. Didn't go so well. :bang Got it to run but only at low RPM's and won't rev up. Timing????

I don't know what this should be set at so I just set it for "0" to start. I tried advancing and retarding but does not improve the situation. As far as I can tell, everything looks ok.

Finally decided to walk away for a while. I got to break the cam in and can't get the engine to rev up enough! :gaah

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I would start with the basics and check #1 tdc on compression stroke then recheck the firing order. Are you using points? Recheck point gap and swap out the condenser.

bobs409

Administrator
This has a GM HEI. It does sound similar to my bad condenser days with the 63 doesn't it? :irk

I'll start fresh tomorrow with it. (if it doesn't RAIN again!)

I did recheck for #1 today and rechecked plug wires but I'll check again tomorrow with a fresh head to be certain.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
With new crate engines, how trusting are we supposed to be with the work that was already done? I mean, I did not check the valve lash. I'm ASSUMING GM would ship these out correctly adjusted? Right? :dunno2

One other thing, what should I set the timing to? 10 or 12 btdc is what I'm thinking. ??

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
This has a GM HEI. It does sound similar to my bad condenser days with the 63 doesn't it? :irk

I'll start fresh tomorrow with it. (if it doesn't RAIN again!)

I did recheck for #1 today and rechecked plug wires but I'll check again tomorrow with a fresh head to be certain.
Don't forget these word's ,,,,,,,,,, On compression stroke on #1 cylinder........

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Does it start up like it should? When it does not rev up, is there a miss? Or does it labor? Any back fire? Any lifter click?