My New UNWANTED Project

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
After a successful 3200 mile roundtrip flight to Oshkosh last July, I mistakenly thought all was going well with my 1946 North American Navion. About 2 weeks ago I went on a short flight and after I landed observed a puddle under the airplane that turned out to be a running fuel leak. Not a big deal you might think .
Now, on this airplane the fuel tanks are inside the wings and the only way to access them is to unbolt the wings from the fuselage then separate the two wings from each other. Only 24 bolts hold the wings to the fuselage but all the interior has to come out, the control cables have to be disconnected; fuel, oil and hydraulic lines have to be disconnected at two places; all the wiring bundles have to be disconnected , the fuselage has to be lifted from the front and rear and the wings have to be supported, landing gear retracted, and then the wings can be lowered from the fuselage........did that yesterday.
I'm now less than half way done. Tomorrow I start on separating the wings after which I pull the fuel tanks, send them out for overhaul, and start the cleaning and painting process for the fuel bays inside the wings. While the wings are off, I will install a fuselage beef-up kit which will allow an engine upgrade from the current 225 BHP to over 260 BHP (more like 300). This involves riveting in doublers, stringers and bathtub brackets (probably over 100 rivets) to the main longerons and frames.
All in all, I'm probably looking at at least the next 6 months of fun. Not exactly what I had planned as these tanks were worry free for 69 years......I guess they just don't make things like they used to.

Anyway, just a little venting.

20151024_133320_resized_1.jpg 20151027_102653_resized.jpg 20151027_103942_resized.jpg 20151027_103927_resized.jpg

Attachments

• 20151027_102653_resized.jpg
    20151027_102653_resized.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 33
  • 20151027_103927_resized.jpg
    20151027_103927_resized.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 32

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
With all that work involved ,I guess this would be the best time of the year for weather condition's to do that being's your in Arizona,nice and cool!!!!!:D

Last edited:

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Nice. Can you post some pics of that plane behind the wings on the last pic.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Cecil, I could be all wrong here...but I think you enjoy the preservation of that plane and the fact that you can make some improvements along the way. It is undoubtedly a lot of work but someone has to do it!!

Sometimes I think that I have too many projects going, but I don't get rid of them either.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
1425hp, 50 gph, impressive, I bet a drag car would suck a lot more than that in an hour?

You certainly cleaned up your garage for this job Cecil :D and it must be nice to have something to do in the winter. You are very talented to tackle that job.

Don

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cecil, that does not look like fun.
My Dad told me about dragging a float plane out of a lake and rebuilding it. It was a pusher and I'm sure it was a cherry little one owner. Sure glad I wasn't around then to take it up for a test flight!! Good luck on this project.