My New UNWANTED Project

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
1425hp, 50 gph, impressive, I bet a drag car would suck a lot more than that in an hour?

You certainly cleaned up your garage for this job Cecil :D and it must be nice to have something to do in the winter. You are very talented to tackle that job.

Don
:roll:laugh:laugh2
That's not my garage, Don. That's the hangar.
I only wished my garage looked like that.
Here's the garage/shop, still junky as ever.

shop1.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Looks pretty clean to me :). I bet I could fit a couple more cars and parts in there, but not another airplane :).

Cheers! TomK

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was guessing that Cecil. Tom, that pic is from 2009, its probably been full since then. But then you had a cleanup Cecil?

Lots more room for stuff in that hangar Cecil? :D

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I was guessing that Cecil. Tom, that pic is from 2009, its probably been full since then. But then you had a cleanup Cecil?

Lots more room for stuff in that hangar Cecil? :D
I know. 20,000 ft is tempting and I know I could fill it up but the other guys seem to think it should only be for airplanes......what's up with that?:dunno

The shop pic is a little dated.........we worked on it some last summer but it has a long way to go.

20150530_102952_resized_1.jpg 20150530_103057_resized_1.jpg

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
what great airplanes........:cool:........love to help you with that fuel leak repair Cecil.....:scratch
I could bring all the little baggies for the parts..........:pop

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
only 3 409's and about 6 348's, 6 327s , at least 5 283's, 2 265's, several 396/402's and a 454.....Im probably forgetting some.:rub

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
You just need to do like me and build more garages, Cecil. My limiting factor is Deb says I won't be able to pay property taxes if I don't stop.

409envy

Well Known Member
Cecil... are you an A&P mechanic by trade? Would love to see pics of the repairs as well as some more of the T-28!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Cecil... are you an A&P mechanic by trade? Would love to see pics of the repairs as well as some more of the T-28!
Yeah, I have the ticket but only use it for my own work.......don't want the liability and don't have the time to work on other peoples stuff.
I should get the wings split tomorrow and the offending tank out. I'll get some pics.

my T-28a.jpg

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Finally got the wings split yesterday and pulled both tanks......SURPRISE :shock1
Found the leak in the left tank and discovered the right tank was cracked on top but only seeped a little when full.......never saw a drop leak from that tank........I guess it was so small it must have evaporated before reaching the bottom of the wing.
Sending the tanks out tomorrow for overhaul .......now the tedious task of cleaning stripping priming and painting the tank bays and wheel wells.:thud

20151103_163349_resized.jpg20151104_165437_resized.jpg

20151104_165403_resized.jpg

20151103_163218_resized.jpg

20151103_163402_resized.jpg

Jeff Olson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are definitely a man of many talents Cecil. Good luck with the repair, hope the reassembly goes smoothly.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Maybe Dan and Brian will pop down and it's be done by Monday. Looks like a few extra hands are needed from time to time.

Don

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Cecil,
Looks like your having fun now...:poke
Not being familiar with airplanes I was surprised at how small the tanks were and the shape. Looks very much like automotive. I had always asumed it was some sort of bladder tank inside the wing.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Each tank is 20 gals and both feed into an accumulator or sump tank in the center of the wing. I also have a 20 gal aux tank under the back seat for a total of 60 gals but only 59 is useable. They all feed through a selector valve feeding the engine. the choices are:

Main (wing tanks) to Engine
Aux to Engine
OFF (self explanatory and never used unless......)