My New UNWANTED Project

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I think they are bullet prof
All the runway on takeoff and nothing to land.
We had a hump just before one eight then the radio would sound for one of them you never see them till they popped over the hump and would have the gear on the ground a foot from the start of the strip.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Here's a little update.
I got a little sidetracked last month when my truck was viciously attacked in the parking lot at the local monthly swapmeet.......don't ask.:wtf

:thinkI know, I'll park right by this light pole with the low concrete curb around it so I can easily find my truck when the meet is over.

20160207_111847_resized_2.jpg 20160208_165848_resized_1.jpg 20160207_111901_resized_1.jpg 20160208_165914_resized_1.jpg

It was taken out of commission for two weeks to make it pretty again. Unfortunately, I changed my deductible last year to $1000 to save money.:doh:facepalm

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
So, since I only have 2 drivable vehicles out of 12 or so, it put a little crimp on my activities having to ask the wifey for the keys to her suburban so that I could, you know, go to work at the airport pretty please?:pray

Progress has been painfully slow but I'm sure it has nothing to do with our morning coffee and BS session before actually turning a wrench. After all, we have to solve the worlds problems every day since no one in elected office seems to be interested.:read

The fuel tanks are back in the wings, the wings have been re-wired and now working on wiring the fuselage. I decided to replace the radios with more modern equipment so i'm building the necessary harnesses too.

20160314_160254_resized.jpg

Back in 81, the airplane was landed gear up at Big Bear in SoCal and the last traces of un-repaired damage just had to be taken care of.
These are gussets that hold the boarding step up inside the belly. They had been badly mangled and poorly patched so I fabricated new ones out of .040 2024 T-3 aluminum. Here's a side by side comparison of old and new. I'm in the process of riveting them in so that hopefully the wings can go back on next week.

20160331_111255_resized.jpg 20160331_111435_resized.jpg

20160331_133429_resized.jpg

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I've seen them jump out at you from time to time, mostly when my wife is driving :). Mailboxes do that as well...

TomK

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Time for a little update.
Made big progress today when I finally cot the wings bolted back together and the wing assembly bolted back on to the fuselage.
It's been a long slow crawl but finally in the reassembly stage.
Now I have to finish the wiring under the panel, re-connecting all the control cables, install the new headliner in the canopy, new tires and a lot of other miscellaneous little stuff…….should be finished in another two or three weeks

20160702_150818_resized_1.jpg 20160702_150835_resized.jpg

20160711_133358_resized.jpg 20160711_133420_resized.jpg

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are a talented man Cecil, that "frame off' is coming along nicely. That is such a classic style of aircraft.

Don

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks but it doesn't quite qualify as a frame off, more of an inspect and repair as necessary (IRAN).