My New UNWANTED Project

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
How much time in the air can you get on 50 gallons? I'm assuming you don't like to run to close to fumes!

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I like it.
I used to have an engine mount and oil tank for one of these but sold it last year.

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The tanks are fixed but there's much work to do before reassembly...mission creep has taken over. Cleaning , painting, re wiring,etc.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Kind of like changing the oil pan because it was a truck oil pan instead of a car pan! Since the pan is off I might as well check the bearings, oh, I should put a new oil pump on, well I might as well have a look at the clutch since I'm under here anyway, oh it's much easier to just pull the engine.....and that's how I ended up replacing the rocker panels!!!

And you know the rest of the story.......

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Kind of like changing the oil pan because it was a truck oil pan instead of a car pan! Since the pan is off I might as well check the bearings, oh, I should put a new oil pump on, well I might as well have a look at the clutch since I'm under here anyway, oh it's much easier to just pull the engine.....and that's how I ended up replacing the rocker panels!!!

And you know the rest of the story.......
Boy ain't that the truth Pat...:confused

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
As long as the wings are off I figured I might as well install the fuselage beef up kit so that I could later install a bigger engine, at least 285 hp but ideally 300 hp. My little 225 hp 470 cubic inch just doesn't satisfy the "need for speed" like a 520 or 550 cu would.
All in all, I estimate I might have it back together by May or June.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
As long as the wings are off I figured I might as well install the fuselage beef up kit so that I could later install a bigger engine, at least 285 hp but ideally 300 hp. My little 225 hp 470 cubic inch just doesn't satisfy the "need for speed" like a 520 or 550 cu would.
All in all, I estimate I might have it back together by May or June.

Cecil,
Have you not got anything else to work on?
Camaro, 55, early Vet,
I do like polished aluminium though

If you are going to go faster, what will the top speed be when a 300HP engine goes in?

It might be too expensive to get to Bowling Green in it with an upgrade:D

Need more pics also of what you are doing

Steve

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Most of the hard work is done on the airframe. Only about 250 or so rivets driven to put the fuselage beef up doublers in so now I'm into re-wiring the airplane. I guess 70 years is long enough for the original wiring to do its job and it's time to retire it......after all, it' nearly as old as Phil is.
Heres a few shots of the inside of the fuselage showing the added structure in light green.
All this putzing around and I just realized that my prop is due for it's 5 year corrosion inspection....that's about $1800 I forgot to put in the budget.
It's almost time to start putting her back together.20160128_142128_resized.jpg
Fuel Tanks all done

20160128_142145_resized_1.jpg
Wheel wells and bottom of wing done

20160212_092212_resized_1.jpg

Upper longeron doubler done

20160212_092221_resized_1.jpg

Left lower forward longeron doubler and bathtub bracket done

20160212_092258_resized_1-1.jpg
New Hi-Lok rivets on bathtub brackets

20160219_133028_resized-1.jpg

Right side skin stiffeners positioned, ready for drilling

20160128_142113_resized.jpg
Fuel bays done

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm sure you know what you are doing ,but do you have to get inspection's while putting it back together?????.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Impressive project!

I thought building a house from the ground up was a lot of work :).

Carry on!

TomK

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
My Daddy was a crop duster and he always told me every landing was a controlled crash!!!

Cecil has just made it look that way, only he knows how to reassemble! :) :)

Good luck on the test flight.

Pat

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My Daddy was a crop duster and he always told me every landing was a controlled crash!!!

Cecil has just made it look that way, only he knows how to reassemble! :) :)

Good luck on the test flight.

Pat
I worked at Woods Memorial Airport when in high school and watched the crop dusters and swore they were scared of heights.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
:) :) :)

The height of a telephone pole was as high as he flew,.

He used to fly under the power lines and just above the fencing. Was not afraid of anything!!

A powerful Stearman did the job!