My personal nightmare

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The idea that I have is, to have the top covered with a pleated pattern like the seats.
Then the face of the dash done with dense foam or felt covered to give the gauges some depth.
Then maybe add some piping to match the seat.
My crappy photo shop work. :crazy
20181115_164645_LI.jpg

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
I remember, back in the 70's, I was working with a, just out of college, kid. One day we got talking about cars, and he mentioned he was renovating a early MGB-GT. :rolleyes I finally got him, to bring it to work. Of course, it was British Racing Green. He was doing a decent job, fixing it up.:clap I kept my opinion's to myself. I just never liked English cars. Sorry.:dunno He asked me, if I wanted to go for a ride. Of course I did. After I manipulated my body, to get in, we took off. I did Not like, being that low, to the ground. It was hard, to see, left or right. over the fenders. I didn't like the sound of the engine, or the loud obnoxious exhaust sound.:dunno2 He thought, it was Fast.:teehee I didn't, want to hurt his feelings. A couple weeks later, I took him for a ride, in my 64. I scared the F-en shit, out of him.:roll That was with the 1970 LT-1 Corvette/Camaro engine, I had in there. :appl

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
My first new car was a 65 Austin Healey Sprite. Four cyl 4 spd cruise at 70mph on 30 mpg. British Racing Green of course. Fun little car but the ignition system sucked. Had to dry out the distributor cap after the morning dew to get it started. Traded it in on a new 66 GTO.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I just caught up to this thread and LOVE the project man, pro work!! Were on our second big healey now and can tell you the biggest pain in the butt for sure was swag lines and wiring!! They have two fuses, 35 and 50 amp!! When the 50 goes, you hear it!!

Cecil has a great point on the ignition, so you may want to swap to a pertronic's setup. Cheap and easy and so happy we did.

And don't let the "british haters" persuade you, their just v-8 hooligans that need refinement ;>)... Check out the pic of Carrol Shelby, factory Austin Healey racer!! Piece of history...

Couple pics of the one we finished and the other were tinkering on as we speak. If you need any parts or misc stuff, let me know man, happy to send your way!! Lots of little things are interchangeable....BTW, love the console and the three 2-inch or so rods that you used to dress it up. Reminds me of an early vette and sets it off. Great professional work!!!....

Attachments

• 20180725_195231.jpg
    20180725_195231.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20180716_093550.jpg
    20180716_093550.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180620_200804.jpg
    20180620_200804.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 20180618_100451.jpg
    20180618_100451.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 20180305_152253.jpg
    20180305_152253.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 20180219_195518.jpg
    20180219_195518.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 39
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I just caught up to this thread and LOVE the project man, pro work!! Were on our second big healey now and can tell you the biggest pain in the butt for sure was swag lines and wiring!! They have two fuses, 35 and 50 amp!! When the 50 goes, you hear it!!

Cecil has a great point on the ignition, so you may want to swap to a pertronic's setup. Cheap and easy and so happy we did.

And don't let the "british haters" persuade you, their just v-8 hooligans that need refinement ;>)... Check out the pic of Carrol Shelby, factory Austin Healey racer!! Piece of history...

Couple pics of the one we finished and the other were tinkering on as we speak. If you need any parts or misc stuff, let me know man, happy to send your way!! Lots of little things are interchangeable....BTW, love the console and the three 2-inch or so rods that you used to dress it up. Reminds me of an early vette and sets it off. Great professional work!!!....

Very very nice I didn't like all the Brit cars but these MGB-GT were cool cars and are classics the Brit cars in the 60's I liked.

Mark

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Thanks for the offer Kurt, I have tried my best to weed out most all the Lucas parts in this car.
I did install the pertronix ignitor in the distributor. :good
And I do like the big Healey, I have have worked on a few, much heavier and better handling road car compared to most Brit cars.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
We sent the dash off to be covered, fingers crossed.
Been working on loose ends, got the door glass, vent winds, window regulators and door cards on.
With any luck, I can get all my loose end done by the time the dash is done, then it's just wire the gauges and fire it up then send it down the road. :pray
20181210_183340 (2).jpg

brushwolf

Well Known Member
I like these tiny cars, but with American V8's in them and even bought one (also red with black interior..) a couple years newer with no drive train. Titled with collector plates already for $600. Remember the British Sunbeam Tiger with SBF V8? Similar deal..

Every last female in my extended family and even the elderly neighbor lady all really seem to like these little red convertibles, whatever the brand. Don't need a chick magnet at my age and marital status, but if I did need an economical one, these are pretty hard to beat for the money.

Have rebuilt a 2000 Explorer roller 5.0 motor with aluminum heads and intake to go in it along with an 89 Mustang T5 and an 85 TBird narrowed 3.42 posi. Car is in my garage up in the air right now for the rear end conversion. 3:91 stock MGB Salisbury rear is able to take the V8 power, but it's an open rear and the low axle gear ratio coupled with T5 ratio would be just too low.

Saved this thread in my MGB files, cuz of the nice work on dash and interior and custom bracketry. Really nice work there. Mine will require all new aftermarket gauges as well, as has been done here.

Sorry, it ain't a Chev motor going in mine cuz the SBF is lighter and more compact (and I already had all the Ford parts). Chev motors fit in them too though. Oil pan profile and filter location is less problematic with the Chev motor too. Lots of people have done it already. MGB forum has a considerable amount of info on both Ford and Chev V8 swaps.

If it makes you feel any better I have also put a 67 Chev 327 and Ford Toploader in a Datsun 280ZX years ago, and then another SBC with a Camaro T5 in a Toyota Supra. My oldest son has a Datsun 280ZX project too, but he is also going with a SBF and Ford T5. I didn't much care for any of the foreign cars either, until my son bought a 280ZX and after that my rigid thinking has changed.

Absolutely feels like you are almost sitting on the road though, but so does the TA..

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.8 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I did a chevy v8 swap into a 240z for the boss at the Subaru dealer I worked at.
He had a guy come in and said he would buy the car if it had the factory engine in it, so I removed the v8 and re installed the Datsun 6.
The engine mounts and transmission cross member sat around the shop for a year or so, then a kid came in with a 260z and the boss sold him parts and I installed a v8 in that car.

The funny story about the 240, was boss had to make trips to Chicago often, and one day on his trip back he got passed by a Jaguar at a high rate of speed, so he stood on that 240, said it took him a few miles to catch that Jag and pass him. Now the guy in the Jag was in hot pursuit when he finally caught up with, he motioned him to pull over. When they stopped the Jag owner wanted to know what was going on, as he had driven the highway for years and had never been passed by a Datsun. :cool:

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Working on some boxes to go where the duel 6 volt batteries use to be, one needs to be shorter to clear the fuel pump.
Need to make bottoms next.
The funny shape is to fallow the shape of the battery brackets that are part of the floor pan.
20190101_155819 (2).jpg
20190101_161355 (2).jpg
I used my bench with a piece of pipe for the radius bends. :smoke