New build 62 Impala SS

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok guys I need some help from you guys on a question about automatic transmissions. This engine I picked up is a
1963 , 250hp with a S code, on the block pad, I was given 2 power glide transmissions with my 62 SS, so I was going to
give one to Flo with this motor. Here's my problem, they don't bolt up. Did they change something in 63? or do I just have the wrong tranny's. Im not really even sure how to tell how which year they are. I'll put a picture in of the one I have, that should help. Thanks for the help.. I know that auto-matic 's are not the choice of the fast and furious, :laugh2 or are they?100_3518.jpg

100_3517.jpg100_3516.jpg100_3515.jpg

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Are you using a floor shifter?
Not sure if 62 mounted the shifter to the tail housing or not.
The last one I rebuilt was for a 63 and had mount bosses on the tail housing for the shifter.
If you are having problems getting it to mate up to the block then the converter may not be seated all the way in.
And do check the centering nub on the front of the converter and check that it fits into the end of the crank.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Stan,the one in the picture will bolt up.Is the other one made of cast iron?If it is,it will need the adapter ring.Cast iron glides were used behind 6 cylinder,and 283 engines in 62.62 was the last year for the cast iron transmissions.

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
The ones I have are both Aluminum, but the bolt pattern does not match up with the motor, nor do the alignment nubs. I can tell you I thought twice about picking up that monster, but used my old age and mature
thinking ability, :yikesand used the floor jack.:think:crazy Are there any numbers on these aluminum type to tell me if they are a certain year? I know this one in the pictures came of the 62 engine that came with my car, I took it off.

Fltotheo

Well Known Member
Can nobody here solve this? I searched the whole day for an answere and all I found was that it has to fit, because all aluminum pg‘s bolt directly to all small block Chevy V8s! That’s atleast what I found out

CASHguzzler409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Ok.. ok... I must admit, I do enjoy this forum, the guys are smart, know there 409/348's and racing stuff, also a lot about most engines and tranny's. But you guys are the sickest bunch
of wrench's in the box, humor at its best, thanks for the help. Im sending more pictures of
my situation. Please send donations to: Western Washington State Hospital, in care of:
Cashguzzler000. :martini Only a fool can put a spare peg into a round hole.100_3520.jpg

100_3519.jpg