NHRA Junior Stock

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I believe that picture is from our home track, Kil-Kare In Xenia, Ohio. Had to run Tank in the finals one night. At that time we were both running D/Stock. When we got to the Lanes to make our run, he had a slick go flat. The track would not give him time to change it, so I got the free pass for the win. He was pi$$ed. We were both running sticks at that time.

Lonnie

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
:clapwhat car were you running in Lonnie? Any photos from that time?
Red on red '60 Impala. In '63 & 64 I was C/Stock 335 HP with the Tri-Power. A guy I worked with (who also ran a red '60 Impala) told me if I went to the 4-barrel 320 HP it would drop me to D/Stock and the car would be quicker. He was right on both counts. The car picked up 2 tenths. I ran the car that way in 65 & 66. Being young in those racing years (21-24) I guess I thought that I would be racing forever. I have pictures of the car at home, but none on the track. Wasn't smart enough to have the wife to take track pictures. The last day I ran that car was Mothers Day of '66. I won my class and then ran for Stock Eliminator against other class winners. Got down to three cars, a '65 Mustang and a '64 Galaxie both sponsored by a Ford dealer in Columbus, Ohio. I beat the Mustang and the Galaxie beat me. I was satisfied with 2nd place as I was only sponsored by me. The guy in the Mustang complained that he got the wrong spot on the tree, so they called the three of us back to re-run. They weren't satisfied with 1st & 3rd. Well, they wound up 2nd & 3rd as I beat the both of them. Our older son was 6 months old at that time and I made the decision it would be better to feed him than race, so that was my last race with the '60. Fun days!!

Lonnie

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Red on red '60 Impala. In '63 & 64 I was C/Stock 335 HP with the Tri-Power. A guy I worked with (who also ran a red '60 Impala) told me if I went to the 4-barrel 320 HP it would drop me to D/Stock and the car would be quicker. He was right on both counts. The car picked up 2 tenths. I ran the car that way in 65 & 66. Being young in those racing years (21-24) I guess I thought that I would be racing forever. I have pictures of the car at home, but none on the track. Wasn't smart enough to have the wife to take track pictures. The last day I ran that car was Mothers Day of '66. I won my class and then ran for Stock Eliminator against other class winners. Got down to three cars, a '65 Mustang and a '64 Galaxie both sponsored by a Ford dealer in Columbus, Ohio. I beat the Mustang and the Galaxie beat me. I was satisfied with 2nd place as I was only sponsored by me. The guy in the Mustang complained that he got the wrong spot on the tree, so they called the three of us back to re-run. They weren't satisfied with 1st & 3rd. Well, they wound up 2nd & 3rd as I beat the both of them. Our older son was 6 months old at that time and I made the decision it would be better to feed him than race, so that was my last race with the '60. Fun days!!

Lonnie
So cool Lonnie, to beat on those two Ferds like that:winnerthank you for sharing:bow:bow

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Lonnie that was the Junior stock eliminator life. Glad you enjoyed it. Was correct not to many cars were sponsored but the good sponsored cars usually won at US 13 in Delmar. ie Shallcross Chevrolet cars from Dick Mackenzie area
Robert

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I still have one of the trophy's we won from the West Plains drag strip with Mom's 69 Chevelle. It was a 300 horse 350 and ran H/SA, we'd go to George Rays and not know what class we were running until he told us.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I threw away the boxes I had a bunch of trophies in years ago while cleaning out. Some nice ones from down in Carolinas and one or two from the old 75-80 uphill or downhill strip in western MD
Robert