NHRA Junior Stock

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Thank you Dick!!! They are really great photos. What a great era that must have been.:clap The 348-409 cars are great to see for sure, but It really doesn't matter, small or big block, even other makes, any photos from that time 64-71 are way cool:good As time went on the amount of different combo's that people came up with to be competitive in a certain class is just awesome.:appl

Yeah it was a fun era especially with the 55-57 301 cubic inch small blocks just screaming. The railbirds around here used to bet on anything including if a 301 was gonna hand grenade. And the fun really began when the A & B stockers lined up!! Lots of fun
Robert

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I'll never forget the look on the starting line guys face the first time that I had my d/mp Dart at his track! I had one of those early rev limiters [they were rough as heck] and I'd leave against it ,8500 at time,and he looked like he was afraid that a rod was going to shake his hand on it's way past him.:backI'd burn out,pull to the line and stage.When the first light came on,[we had 5 lights back then] I'd mat it up against the limiter,and that little 340 would sound like a chain saw at full rip.:laugh4

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I'll never forget the look on the starting line guys face the first time that I had my d/mp Dart at his track! I had one of those early rev limiters [they were rough as heck] and I'd leave against it ,8500 at time,and he looked like he was afraid that a rod was going to shake his hand on it's way past him.:backI'd burn out,pull to the line and stage.When the first light came on,[we had 5 lights back then] I'd mat it up against the limiter,and that little 340 would sound like a chain saw at full rip.:laugh4

I like it Don. Yes I remember those first limiters. I'll bet Pat never used one on his 301 builds and I am certain the Shellcross Brothers, up by McKenzie, never used one on their 301as it always sounded like from in the pits they were shifting at 10,000 on their runs!
Robert

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I like it Don. Yes I remember those first limiters. I'll bet Pat never used one on his 301 builds and I am certain the Shellcross Brothers, up by McKenzie, never used one on their 301as it always sounded like from in the pits they were shifting at 10,000 on their runs!
Robert

Robert you are sooo right, never saw a rev limiter, miy limiter was usually a dropped valve or a rod.

LOL LOL LOL

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
So.....is this right???? I'm seeing pictures here of 62 409 cars and would not consider them Jr. stockers.
I need to dig up more of my old NHRA rule books but the back page of the 1966 NHRA Rule Book is a section titled "NHRA Eliminator Procedure" lists "JR. STOCK Eliminator will consist of all class winners from B/S through O/S and B/SA through J/SA." (That's all the classes.) Stock classes were determined by "advertised" horse power to listed curb weight. As listed in the NADA books!
Now, this is where things get fuzzy. Through, oh maybe 1967 or later, dual quad 409s fell in A/Stock. Single four barrel 409s fell in B/Stock. So maybe could have been considered Jr. Stockers. As Robert mentioned above I have always thought of cars falling in D/Stock and back as Jr. Stock cars.

Now to start digging through the dusty, moldy box of memorabilia.....................if I can remember where it is...........

Last edited:

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
27459038_10214423934689314_3099278927741533561_n.jpg

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Never have forgiven NHRA for doing away with the 5 yellows. Hey Don, I also ran D/ MP with a 67 Camaro, 310 c.i. 4 spd, 6.17 geared Dana 60 rear. My old logs show about 4 out of 5 events I come back home with something broken. Still have some of those broken parts on a shelf. Conversation pieces.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So cool guys!!! Thank you for posting this stuff.:clap

Ok, so it's 1966, with all the different GM/Chevy combo's, could I run an aluminium powerglide behind my 65 400hp Impala, or even a Turbo-Hydramatic 3 speed?:rub

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
My uncle bought a brand new 67 Impala SS, 325hp 396, 4 speed from our cousin, who was the Chevy dealer here in Winona. He drove it straight to Anchorage Alaska, where he was stationed in the Air Force and raced it while he was there. He was the Jr. stock eliminator from that track in 67 or 68. He said that gave him the right to compete in the divisional in Washington or where ever it was but he couldn't take leave to go. He came back to Montgomery Al. and raced it there for another year before he got sent to Vietnam and sold the car.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Dick I just read the new 66 rule book and clearly in there Jr Stock Eliminator is B/S and down. My C/S thinking was in error I wonder what it was in the older NHRA books. I'll have to see Charlie as he has all the old ones from when they opened US 13.
I looked at the 62 Eveready car in your earlier pictures and I don't remember it but that is clearly Charlie in his US 13 uniform inspecting it. great old photo of a flat towed race car.
Robert

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I ran stock at Oklahoma City in the early sixties and Jr Stock came about there in '61 the way I remember it. In '60 the lowest class was "F", a 38 Buick with two carbs won this class every week. In '61 NHRA added a lot classes and I think the lowest class then was "L". I ran "E" in '60 and moved to "J" in '61 with the same car. In '60 all off the stockers who won class ran for the overall eliminator using the car length system for spotting the lower cars. In '61 they had two overall eliminators in stock. "A" thru "E" for top and "F" down for Jr Stock. Of course with the one car length for class system the "F" car would most always win Jr. Stock. I still run NHRA stock eliminator so I guess this will be my 58th year in the class. I won my first trophy at the '61 Okla City NHRA regional, still have the trophy and the clipping from the local paper listing all class winners.​
Jimmy Parker​

I copied this ofF the HAMB.

chevytaylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's cool, thanks for posting:beer. We can't go back in time but the nostalgia drag racing scene is alive and well:guitar

Last edited: