NHRA Junior Stock

Mearl

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I remember my uncle who had the 67 Impala, coming home on leave with a mission to find a 56 Buick with 3 holes in the side. It had to have a 322 because a guy had been featured in a magazine who ran one in R stock and was undefeated for a whole season. We looked in every junkyard and backyard we could find to see if anybody had one, no luck. I was about 15, this was supposed to be my big start in drag racing. Now you guys know why I don't race professionally.

BRYAN FUGATE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I ran stock at Oklahoma City in the early sixties and Jr Stock came about there in '61 the way I remember it. In '60 the lowest class was "F", a 38 Buick with two carbs won this class every week. In '61 NHRA added a lot classes and I think the lowest class then was "L". I ran "E" in '60 and moved to "J" in '61 with the same car. In '60 all off the stockers who won class ran for the overall eliminator using the car length system for spotting the lower cars. In '61 they had two overall eliminators in stock. "A" thru "E" for top and "F" down for Jr Stock. Of course with the one car length for class system the "F" car would most always win Jr. Stock. I still run NHRA stock eliminator so I guess this will be my 58th year in the class. I won my first trophy at the '61 Okla City NHRA regional, still have the trophy and the clipping from the local paper listing all class winners.​

Jimmy Parker​

I copied this ofF the HAMB.
I was reading that and thought there’s no way you were racing then lol

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
[QUOTEBeing K/S I would guess small block :dunno2[/QUOTE]

yes agree with you on this one. Yes back in the day in the very early 60's several guys would study the rule book like Mearl's uncle for a guaranteed winner as in those lower classes the Junior Stock eliminator usually was the same car. I don't recall that particular Buick of his Uncle's but I do recall several 265-283 cubic inch chevies as usual winners down in those classes. My big concern was being factored up a class which did happen! Then wasn't a consistent winner and sort of lost interest.
Robert