Original tire question for 63 Impala

bobs409

Administrator
Just wondering, what kind of tires were on a 63 originally?

More importantly, are they availabe in repro? I see Coker sells alot of old style tires.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,Firestone and U.S.Royal [Uniroyal] were common,but you'll hate the way the car drives on bias ply tires.

bobs409

Administrator
Any chance they make radials that "look" like the old tires? :D

P.S. I'm old enough to have bought & used bias plys but don't miss 'em. (geez, I'm getting old!) :p

pjnewlin

Supporting Member 1
I run bias plys and love the look and although radials ride better i am usually just traveling short distances at under 50 Mph so it is fine for my application. On a side note many folks run 15"s when the originals were 14"s so whatever fits your fancy.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I also have the BFG Silvertowns on the Biscayne and the 64 Olds and love how they drive.

bobs409

Administrator
Gonna bring back this old thread. Almost time for tire buyin' so need advice! My car is Ermine white so wheels will be white with dog dish caps.

Thoughts automatically go to blackwalls but would white walls be wierd looking?

Best place to buy? Summit?

Last edited:

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
Like it has been said, you car probably came with Firestone, US Royal or maybe Goodyear. Coker sells the Firestone and US Royal but 750 x 14 is the largest they have in 14 inch. You probably want 8oox14 so with Coker you have to go with BF Goodrich to get the 800 tire.
I use Goodyear tires on my stuff because they are available in 800x14 and the repo Goodyear tires are about an inch taller than the B F G's. Amy way you go you can figure about 200 per tire, maybe a liitle more.
The Goodyear tires are available from Universal Tire in Hershey.

Rickys61

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Gonna bring back this old thread. Almost time for tire buyin' so need advice! My car is Ermine white so wheels will be white with dog dish caps.

Thoughts automatically go to blackwalls but would white walls be wierd looking?

Best place to buy? Summit?
I bought mine at Summit, they were cheaper than buying them straight from Coker, I don't know about shipping though.. We are close enough we can go and pick them up..
Rick

bobs409

Administrator
Bob

I have a couple of sets of Coker tires, they sell them for a little less at swap meets. I looked quick for some pictures and the first one could give you a new look???
After seeing the first pic, I may have to change my direction with this build. (not!) :roll

Seriously, the last pic is it! (just change interior to black and lose the front license plate) That's the clean, made in USA, I love my jet smooth ride Chevy I want! :love

chevymusclecars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That car is a 409 car so the tires are probably 800X14 and has red interior. I too like the black wall tires with the white wheel.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
The whitewall tires.like the full wheel covers were options.I don't think I ever saw a new 63 with white walls and hub caps[or dog dish as you like to call them],It just wouldn't look right,in my opinion.