Poor boys 409 project

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Time flys when your having fun Kevin. (Money too). Now we need pictures of completed car and engine compartment. You still have your other cars???

Most of em, yeah. I have sold a couple in the last year or two though. Still a tri-5 and x-frame geek. I have too many.

Just read your entire post from stem to stern. You have some mad skills, sir. Can't wait for the next installment.

Feels good to read that. Much appreciated thanks.

Looking great Kevin. How did your hands turn out as far as % of usability?

Thanks a lot. If I were to put a percentage on em, I’d say around 90. I’ve been determined to get use back, using tools really helps the dexterity. I lost a lot of feeling in my left thumb and a couple finger tips, but I’ve learned to live with it. Those videos of the crusher in bowling green are great btw.

That's perseverance, and the results look great.

Thanks! I dig that Chevy II, now you gotta post some pics of your 61 bel air.

Great work, great perseverance, and a beautiful 61 as a result.:bow:bow:bow:appl:appl:appl:burnout:burnout:burnout:weld:weld:weld

Thanks a lot Don!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Well done Kevin!!!

What brand and where did you buy your carb spacers?

Thank you! They’re Allstar performance, got em from summit. First time I’ve ever ran a plastic spacer on anything. It’s been 95-100 here every day for the last two weeks, and i can let this thing sit for 10-15 mins and it fires right up. They do a great job of keeping heat off the carbs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all25985

Do you still have your Chevy II wagon? I hope you got ‘stuck’ with it haha. I love that car.

409envy

Well Known Member
Thank you! They’re Allstar performance, got em from summit. First time I’ve ever ran a plastic spacer on anything. It’s been 95-100 here every day for the last two weeks, and i can let this thing sit for 10-15 mins and it fires right up. They do a great job of keeping heat off the carbs.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaf-all25985

Do you still have your Chevy II wagon? I hope you got ‘stuck’ with it haha. I love that car.

Cool thanks for the info... I still have the nova. Chipping awaya at tuning and overheating issues. Hope to get to the track in the fall. Post up some video of your car running, I would love to hear it!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Been too long since I made an update on this thing. Put about 2500 miles on it so far. Got it to run a 13.34 @ 105 mph in Julesburg, 3000’ elevation. Drove it there and back 550 miles round trip. Car weighs 3900# with me in it. 2.54 first gear, and a 3.70 rear. Not enough gear to holeshot, especially with sticky tires. Burning the clutch to save the stock chevy rear. It and the trans will get upgraded this winter. I wanna let this thing eat!!!

:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout:burnout

Sorry for the grainy cell phone pics:thumbdown

4C2F7CC8-950F-44EB-9CBA-82ED9B3A6D85_zpst6rqvkvr.jpeg

CA09B58C-7AF0-4BA1-A421-E51F3D395B7D_zpsyby4km01.jpeg

11489BAE-EE42-42DA-9D55-4FC612B18942_zps9apzla1c.png

FB5B82C0-AB85-4450-BCB2-A390EB0028CF_zpsu09oyhb6.jpeg

My pal Travis taking it for a ride.

Launching like Grandma.

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks for the words guys!!! Means a lot. This car wouldn’t exist without the ‘14 convention. Wouldn’t have found the car (en route) and I wouldn’t have found the inspiration to build it when we got there. This car is a tribute to that event, to this forum, to this group of guys. It’s good to know all of you.:good It makes me sad when another ‘boomer gearhead kicks the bucket. IE Don Shaffer most recently. Being an eccentric millennial is a lonely endeavor sometimes. Especially when the only ones who cheer you on keep dying.

Love what you’ve done with that car Kevin:beer... I’m sure you mentioned it, but what hood scoop is that??

Thanks Rick it’s Stage 2 Buick, from VFN. Kind of a chincey POS honestly but it covers the hole. The feeling’s mutual man, your 61 is burned into the memory!!

Wasn't your 56 wagon in the 11"s in great bend.....?????

Yep, my first and last 11 second timeslips were at Great Bend. :D:doh:rolleyes Maybe that car will run again next year. It’s always ‘maybe next year’.

In other news, some of you may remember seeing this car for sale on facebook last spring, in Pueblo, CO. About 5 miles from the drag strip. I ended up making a deal on it and dragging it home in July. I’ll start a build thread on this car at some point soon I hope, I’m really excited to resurrect this thing. There’s some cool history behind it, and it came with some good parts. ‘64 400hp, Olds/Pontiac rear. Nothing cool in the trans department. (Powerglide:thumbdown)
A7BFAC5A-1CE9-4917-9A2F-14AD52FE2A88_zpsibiyata0.jpeg

D080B518-01CA-4C3F-A45D-E5D4BC4A47D7_zpspf9eenoa.jpeg

BDABF9E1-61B2-44DC-9E5D-A9E42DBCD645_zpsg0yfzlbo.jpeg

FB54D922-C31D-41AA-A14D-1021A42C9399_zpshqpno1uz.jpeg