Poor boys 409 project

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Excellent body work, look's great !! Where did you learn body work???? Your too young to be that good!!!

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks boys :)

Ain't the best at it, all my stuff still needs a skim coat haha. Looking forward to giving you guys an update more relevant to this site (i.e. the engine!!) but that's still a couple months away at least. Meanwhile, thanks for the inspiration to finish this damn thing.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I have a few updates to post about my 61, but before I do that, I wanted to show you guys where the inspiration came from. I'm in love with the 61's that we're raced in S/S and OS/S very briefly back in '61-'62. I want to make mine as close to those cars as I can.
image_zps90sepgen.jpg

image_zps3n3z3ysv.jpg

image_zpsqrcpzdlp.jpg

image_zpsmf82tjy4.jpg

image_zpsdixhbn6u.jpg

image_zpsqxytxknw.jpg

image_zpszwfd5qel.jpg

image_zpsumgqdc1z.jpg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So here's how she looks now. Hundreds of hours later, the body is done. Although it's almost completely rust free now, the body is hammered. Literally. There's still a couple bullet holes in it up front, and there's so many dents in this thing I can't count em. I think some punk @$$ kid took a waffle hammer to the passenger side. Plus I found out recently it must've got side swiped. The drivers side is full of early 70's bondo. It is what it is I guess. It going to be a driver and I don't care. Hopefully it'll be fast too.
image_zpsysct04bx.jpg

image_zpsketnsuuv.jpg

image_zpsxouz8fhe.jpg

To match the paint (on the cheap) I polished the fuel door and took it to the local paint shop, and they filled a couple rattle cans with 'alpine green' urethane. 35 bucks each, and I used 3 of em. I just buffed the rest.
image_zpskazuuwgu.jpg

Last edited:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
So here's what's done:

-Front suspension rebuilt, 409 springs part #6000
-Rear suspension rebuilt, and added a 4th upper link
using a stock upper setup from a junkyard '64.
Torched the bracket off the housing, flipped it, and
welded it on mine.

-Brakes, stock drums with a dual pot master
-Rearend, stock '61 housing (drain plug:brow) with a
May '63 case, 3.70's out of a '63 OD car, an Eaton
posi, Aubrey's girdles, and Mark Williams axles.
-All electrical is done. Everything works.
-Body is done. Every hinge, lever, switch, and regulator
was removed, repaired, oiled or greased, and bolted
back in.
-Exhaust
-Fuel system up to the (invisible) pump

Still needs:

-Interior. It's headed for the upholstery shop on
November 7th.
-Cooling system
-Trans, bell, clutch, linkage, and shifter
-Driveshaft
-A 409 engine

Few more pics

image_zpsvlanjuxr.jpg

image_zpsonaiolci.jpg

image_zpskdhhnl5s.jpg

image_zps3aw166y7.jpg

image_zpstcnpczck.jpg

This cat obliterates mice. She can stay.
image_zpsi7nkgzfi.jpg

Last edited:

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
:clap:brow
So here's how she looks now. Hundreds of hours later, the body is done. Although it's almost completely rust free now, the body is hammered. Literally. There's still a couple bullet holes in it up front, and there's so many dents in this thing I can't count em. I think some punk @$$ kid took a waffle hammer to the passenger side. Plus I found out recently it must've got side swiped. The drivers side is full of early 70's bondo. It is what it is I guess. It going to be a driver and I don't care. Hopefully it'll be fast too.
image_zpsysct04bx.jpg

image_zpsketnsuuv.jpg

image_zpsxouz8fhe.jpg

To match the paint (on the cheap) I polished the fuel door and took it to the local paint shop, and they filled a couple rattle cans with 'alpine green' urethane. 35 bucks each, and I used 3 of em. I just buffed the rest.
image_zpskazuuwgu.jpg
Looks Great!!!