Poor boys 409 project

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Whoa! Didn't know Mark Williams was making axles for these factory rears?? Are they larger diameter than stock I'm assuming?

I think this is the first pair they've made in a very long time, if ever. They don't have a part # for em, but they have all the specs to build em. They have some meat added along the length and a lot more meat in the splines. Bearing journals are stock size.

Looks killer Kevin!!! I know what you mean about those pics of the old super stock '61's...:cheers I think I've seen pictures of every one that's been posted on the net!!!

Thanks Ricky, I like your '61 a lot too. Seeing your car and Butch's '61 at the convention sealed it for me:cool:

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Did you ever put the 409 motor out of that truck into your 63 ??????

No, never did. Was going to, but then this 61 came along. decided I only have one of these engines, I shouldn't waste it on a 4-door Bel Air when there's cooler cars out there.

Kevin, we are pretty much on the same page, keep up the good work!

Thanks a lot. I like your Bel Air that's a cool car, mismatch paint and all:cool:

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
So here's what's done:

-Front suspension rebuilt, 409 springs part #6000
-Rear suspension rebuilt, and added a 4th upper link
using a stock upper setup from a junkyard '64.
Torched the bracket off the housing, flipped it, and
welded it on mine.

-Brakes, stock drums with a dual pot master
-Rearend, stock '61 housing (drain plug:brow) with a
May '63 case, 3.70's out of a '63 OD car, an Eaton
posi, Aubrey's girdles, and Mark Williams axles.
-All electrical is done. Everything works.
-Body is done. Every hinge, lever, switch, and regulator
was removed, repaired, oiled or greased, and bolted
back in.
-Exhaust
-Fuel system up to the (invisible) pump

Still needs:

-Interior. It's headed for the upholstery shop on
November 7th.
-Cooling system
-Trans, bell, clutch, linkage, and shifter
-Driveshaft
-A 409 engine

Few more pics

image_zpsvlanjuxr.jpg

image_zpsonaiolci.jpg

image_zpskdhhnl5s.jpg

image_zps3aw166y7.jpg

image_zpstcnpczck.jpg

This cat obliterates mice. She can stay.
image_zpsi7nkgzfi.jpg
I see you got rid of the trunk monkey and got a trunk cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably cheaper to feed!!!!!!!!!!

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I like it!! Sort of a "brother from a different mother" from my '61 Fairlane....

Oh sweet!! That's a very nice car:cool: I gotta admit, 61's and 63's are my favorite Fords. The styling on those cars is soooo cool. Very 'jet age' but not over the top. My buddy here in CO has a 63 Custom 300 2-door post ex. Highway Patrol car. I've ridden in it a few times and man, I can see why he loves that thing. Oh btw I've watched that FE nationals clip you posted there's so many cool cars in that!! Got to thinking how cool it would be to mix a 409 event with it and do a heads up Ford/Chevy shootout or with match racing on the side... A lot of details to work out but I'd rather piss away 1000 bucks there than at a slot machine.:dunno

I see you got rid of the trunk monkey and got a trunk cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Probably cheaper to feed!!!!!!!!!!

Ahh yes haha:D Let me know where/when the next convention is I just might have a car that fits the criteria by then:brow

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Oh sweet!! That's a very nice car:cool: I gotta admit, 61's and 63's are my favorite Fords. The styling on those cars is soooo cool. Very 'jet age' but not over the top. My buddy here in CO has a 63 Custom 300 2-door post ex. Highway Patrol car. I've ridden in it a few times and man, I can see why he loves that thing. Oh btw I've watched that FE nationals clip you posted there's so many cool cars in that!! Got to thinking how cool it would be to mix a 409 event with it and do a heads up Ford/Chevy shootout or with match racing on the side... A lot of details to work out but I'd rather piss away 1000 bucks there than at a slot machine.:dunno

Ahh yes haha:D Let me know where/when the next convention is I just might have a car that fits the criteria by then:brow

Why not a Ford/Chevy shootout....would be a great draw somewhere.......IMO

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is one of my favorite projects here. Any updates?

Yes, and thanks. Sorry for the slow reply but I'll explain that in a bit. I dropped the car off at the upholstery shop on Monday to have a headliner put in and have the seats recovered. I stopped by the shop today to drop some pieces off, and they had the rear seat done:cool: I bought everything from CARS and so far I'm really happy with their quality.
image_zpstpms2lev.jpg

Why not a Ford/Chevy shootout....would be a great draw somewhere.......IMO

I agree. I want to make it a heads up event, I'm not a fan of bracket racing. The obvious concern is how to make it fair, or as close to fair as we can get so it's a drivers race. The more stick cars the better! Any suggestions appreciated.

In other news, on October 20th I got injured at work. I took a couple thousand volts of induction from hand to hand, right across my chest. It froze my muscles and I couldn't speak. My crew told me I was hung up on it for 15-20 seconds, but I blacked out after a couple seconds. I was in my hooks on the pole, and my lead lineman and another apprentice were each in bucket trucks working up there with me. They broke me free, I think just by jumping on my right arm. They had to cut my belt off the pole and pull me into the bucket, 180# of dead weight, plus tools. I came to on the ride down. I was told I took a big gasp of air and I remember the lights coming back on, I remember when my vision came back. From there it was an ambulance ride to the burn ICU in denver, where I would spend two weeks. I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on both hands, and it took three surgeries and seven skin grafts to get me where I am today. I have very limited use of my hands right now, so for that the '61 project is stalled for a while:(

I am extremely blessed though. The quick action of my crew, and God's mercy, saved my life, my hands, and my fingers. I have a new perspective on life now. It's really good to talk to you guys again.
image_zpsupk2pncq.jpg

Last edited:

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
yes Kevin you are indeed very very lucky sorry to hear of your accident I hope your hands completely heal and the seats do look good..... but that can definitely wait .....so happy that you're still here with us.........