SBC vs. 409

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Just trying to collect some thoughts and experiences from others. As I mentioned in another thread, I'm going to be looking at some '62 SS convertibles for possible purchase. One in particular comes with a 409/409 and the other is a 327/300. I've never driven a 409/409 or a 327/300. The closest I came was my '62 409/340?? and my '64 SS 327/250. There is obviously a difference in power and performance, but just how much?? Has anyone ever driven both of these vehicles?? Can you share your thoughts on it?? There seems to be about $10,000.00 plus difference in price between the two. The money doesn't concern me as much as the drive train does itself. I'm thinking the 409 would be superior overall, but part of my concern is the maintenance of the engine itself. I think it is a solid lifter engine that requires periodic valve adjustments. I just don't want to get too involved in the mechanics of something again. I also question if I need all that horsepower but there is something very nice about driving a 409 powered car. It's good for the psyche.
Additionally, would all factory SS models have seat covers that are all vinyl and not vinyl an cloth?? I thought I read that someplace. Thanks, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The 409 has to be a 4 speed, the 327 can be either. The trans makes a big difference in driving comfort. If both 4 speeds then easier to compare. A 327/300 horse (not 250 horse) is a darn good performance engine and easy to maintain. The 409 will make more power but is heavier and more maintenance prone. I would look at future value, the 409 should appreciate faster especially if it's a real 409 car. IF EVERYTHING else is equal (body/paint etc) then it's really which one you prefer to drive. I would say you need to physically drive both to make a good decision. You can compare the value of the two on Hagerty comparison tool, $10K more for the 409 sounds about right, maybe a little high.
If the valve train is in good condition you shouldn't have to mess with adjustment for years (low mileage driving)
All SS buckets were vinyl

If I had the extra $10k and both are very nice I would lean towards the 409. Convertible 409 makes it even better. I doubt it's a real 409 car.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Definitely a difference in power/torque between the 327 and 409. Probably better fuel economy with the small block. I've only readjusted my solid lifters twice, once after break and then just this past summer while I was changing the valve covers. So I went a few years between adjustments. They weren't really out of adjustment either. The seat covers in a convertible are all vinyl, as far as I am aware.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have driven both convertibles. I had for 15 years a 62 Impala SS 327/300 HP convertible with a 700R4 overdrive automatic.
I just sold this 327 SS convertible last fall.
  • I built 2 -62 SS 409 convertibles over the last 3-4 years. Both cars are complete. One red/red SS 409 convertible(for a good friend) and one Nassau Blue SS 409 convertible (mine)

• The frame off restored 1962 red/red 409 SS convertible is for sale........ by my friend (its not advertised anywhere) it probably has less than 200 miles on it.
  • In my opinion its a 995 point out of 1000 car (by Late Great judging standards -the original Late Great Chevy)
  • The red/red 62 SS 409 convertible has a 409/409 HP Power Steering, Power Brakes Power windows, 4 speed, factory tach -lots of NOS parts original 8068 409 and 690 hi horsepower heads, - motor rebuilt...Does not have a solid lifter cam, has a hydraulic roller.
  • rebuilt 4 speed with Hurst 4 speed shifter with original style shift handle and white 4 speed ball.
  • I helped rebuilt the car in my garage and guided the restoration for what was bought and how it was done.
  • professional body work and paint, new Interior, new top, every chrome piece NOS or restored and a few new trim parts.
  • Bottom of the car pained red oxide correctly like originals

I keep track and review 1962 SS 409 convertible values (and 327 convertible values) every week or month for the last 15 years, something I like to do.
Yes all SS convertibles have all vinyl interiors from the factory (and reproduction).

Paul Stensland

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carmine I have been to Paul’s and seen the red 62 convertible he messaged you about and the work is outstanding and I don’t think there would be anything on it that you would be disappointed in.

I can only imagine that price is the key issue

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That could be very possible Mike. All I know is I have been to Paul’s a couple times while he was working on his blue convertible and the red one he mentioned and I am just impressed with how clean and meticulous he is with his projects. Makes me kinda afraid to show my work on mine!

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thought you were getting a 55 to put that 265 in?
Originally Mike, I wanted to rebuild the 265 and just put it on an engine test stand in my garage. Start it on occasion. It was for nostalgic purposes and a little challenging because I wanted to use pre '66 parts. I then progressed to entertaining the idea of buying a '55 convertible to put the motor in. I think perhaps I knew I was going to try and sell some cars and didn't want to be left without anything. I looked at and still am, some '55 verts. Have to say without offending anyone, some people are real dreamers. So much so, that it made me consider other makes and models. Thus, I started looking at '62 SS verts which are about the same price as some of the more reasonable '55 verts I looked at. The '62 SS verts that I looked at, I like very much. I really don't know what I am going to do yet. I have time and I'm trying to feed off the experiences of others who may have owned and driven these cars. I just want to be armed with all the knowledge possible so that if a car does become available, I'll be as ready as can be. The motor still may end up as planned in my garage. And, that's ok. No disappointments at all. I know what I want to spend for a car and how much something is worth to me. I won't go above that figure regardless of what it is. Speaking of my 265, the machine shop called today and said they started putting my motor together. Wanted to know if I wanted to stop by and take some pics. I would love to have had that chance, but had other commitments. He knows I want to be there when it's initially started. Will take some stills and a video. Hope to post same.

Thanks everyone for your responses. Certainly a learning experience. My concern is that I get what I pay for. What is represented by the seller to be authentic. I don't want anything fraudulent. I didn't deceive the buyer of my '62 and I don't want to be deceived either.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
If you buy a 409 car make sure the engine is right, a small block can be much easier to be a good engine from the start with a poke in the pig.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
55 Convertible is a high priced and iconic car. Prices are coming down some. $60 for a nice 55 vert is low. 62 with a 409 is up there too, and should be fairly expensive if the owner really believes it to be an original 409. Most 409 cars are cloans

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I agree with you Mike. The '55 verts are very pricey or at least can be. Found a few in the 60 thousand dollar price range that looked interesting. They kind of speak for themselves. All are Belairs and might be almost impossible to clone, althought I know they make after market vert bodies. The '62 SS 409's might be a different story. A vert is what it is. Can't mistake that. It's the original 409 engine and SS model that might get my attention. I don't want an Impala with SS badges, trim, interior and transplanted 409 engine, when I'm paying for the real deal. My '62 was already cloned into an SS model by the previous owner, who did a terrific job with it, but at least I knew that. Eyes wide open and the price reflected the same. I put the '63 409 engine in it. I've always been honest about that cars origin from day one. Deceit is not in my vocabulary. Never any regrets with that car. Brought me alot of joy. Very thankful for those times and rides. I think time is on my side. I'm in no rush whatsoever. I can afford to be selective and not settle. If and when I buy something, it will be really what I want. If I can't find something, then perhaps it wasn't meant to be. I realize I can't go to a dealer and order a new one, but for what things cost, the car will really have to appeal to me big time; some do in pics alone. But, don't they all??
Just to share a quick story, I found a '55 vert about 6 hours from me, some time ago. Spoke with the owner. Received many pics and a decent description of the car. Knew there was a problem with the paint because he said so. The pics really didn't show much. Agreed to a price pending an inspection. Hired Lemon Squad who were absolutely terrific. Drove the car. Inspected same. Detailed report with 354 pics. The paint was really bad but I knew that ahead of time, but not to that degree. I've never seen paint crack, peel and flake off like I did on this one. Had to be very poor preparation work. Ashame, because the car was so worthy in having it done correctly. Because of the paint, I never made another offer. I figured the paint job would have been maybe $12,000.00 or so, and I didn't want to get involved in that. So, my journey continues, Carmine.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
While 62 SS convertibles are available but some what rare finding one that is a real 409 car will be next to impossible-if documented as real probably in the $100K range, but sometimes even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Mike is correct, finding an original 62 SS 409 convertible with the original motor is going to be extremely hard.
I bought and sold about 6 - 62 convertibles over about a 15 year period looking for a good rust free body, and never found one with the original motor. My 62 SS convertible is an original 409 car, but the motor was long gone.

I have seen 2 original 1962 409 convertibles with the original motors over the last 10 years. The biggest problem is proving that the car came with a 409.
Paul