SBC vs. 409

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
some comments on 1962 SS 409 cars and 1962 convertibles, including 327‘s. I am referring to an original restoration - that sounds like that’s what you want - modifications to original are fine depending on what you want
  • All... 62 convertibles have factory all vinyl seats SS & bench seats - all convertibles have/had from the factory “silver “ welt/bead on the covers
  • missing the correct 300 HP items -2 &1/2 inch manifolds, 3269 AFB carb and correct intake
  • I see errors all the time on restorations of 409 and 327 convertibles - missing or errors things such as: - missing interior chrome on the door and 1/4 panels, power window switches mounted in the wrong place, wrong factory carpet ( tuxedo is correct), missing convertible only items on the door jambs, missing SS items, 409 emblems mounted incorrectly, wrong factory tach, missing chrome buttons on the door panels, rear 1/4 panels or the seats. There is a 62 SS 409 convertible original style restoration ($67,000)in Florida now that has at least 3 of these errors
  • mismatched cowl and vin tags or fake SS cars ( I found this a number of times finding 62 Impala SS cars for friends to purchase(they asked me to help find good 1962 SS cars - the cars I reviewed and “that they purchased“ were what I thought they were)
  • I just found a high priced 62 SS 327/300 HP convertible in the midwest with mismatched vin and cowl tags -I have know of a very high priced 62 SS 409 convertible for sale with mismatched tags.
  • 409 cars missing the one or more of these items- correct 409 fan shroud, wrong 409 only generator, wrong 409 exhaust manifolds, wrong intake, wrong carbs ( Carter afb’s are correct), wrong radiator ( not 409 only), missing screw top master cylinder, missing ballast resistor 409 starter wiring. Again nothing wrong with changes, but you should know what is changed or not original.
  • another pet peeve with me is using cheap tape on the SS side trim restoration -- instead of the factory style metal SS swirl inserts
  • bolting the bucket seats mounting brackets on top of the new carpet is also incorrect............
Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks Paul for all that info. Alot there to digest. Really makes me rethink what I'm doing; what I'm seeking. Knowing of all the frauds and deceit out there, can be discouraging. Sometimes, I wonder why I torment myself with this stuff. If, after as much research as possible, I was to buy a '62 SS, would I always wonder or have that question if it was the real deal??? Especially reading now, that they even change the cowl tags to suit the car model. Why be aggravated with this and just spend a little more and buy a '55 Chevy convertible. No questioning anything with that. I just don't want to be cheated. That would not set well with me at all. I like the sleek looks of a '62 vert, but the question is, at what price do I pay for piece of mind?? I don't know??? I looked at a '55 vert a few months back that was advertised for 65 thousand firm. In the pics, video and narrative, this car was as originally restored and as perfect as could be. This guy even had some type of small painted hash marks on the top of the front coil springs. Probably something to do with it being a factory vert. coil spring. Seriously, who cares about that?? I don't. You would never see it except it was on a lift and you had to know where to look. Point being, this car went to the extremes on the restoration. It certainly was alot of money, but my concern was the way I would use this car. I would drive it a whole lot. I could never, and wouldn't want to, maintain it in the condition it deserves. I also could never remove the purported original motor and install my 265, od trans. and gears. This car was that nice.
Tom K., that '62 vert., regardless of what it is for $31,000.00, was criminal; he stole it for that price. I've never seen any '62 vert. in that condition so cheap and I look at everything that is available. I watch all the Mecum auctions to get a flavor of what's out there and what they are selling for. Some fairly good prices at times. There's a Mecum auction coming to my somewhat immediate area, Harrisburg, PA, in July of 2020. They sometimes post what is available for auction, so I might just check this out. I'm in no rush so I think I can be a little choosy; actually so undecided, Carmine.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I am wondering if you got a good enough offer on your 62 to make it worth while to sell it and then find another 62 you would be happy with and have money left over? Gasser is gone, so sell Gto and keep your 62 . Done.......Or would you rather have a 55???? :dunno2

wristpin

Well Known Member
What does Mecum offer that makes being the HIGHEST BIDDER AND ADDITIONAL PREMIUM AUTION COSTS worth buying there?
Are you over thinking this whole thing? Is the purchase to make money on or thrill your soul?
If its to make money on then buy it, store it and sell it at a later date.
If its to enjoy then buy it and enjoy it.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I’m not sure exactly what I do want. I do know if I make an additional purchase, it mandatory to be a convertible. If a ‘62, would it have to be an SS model?? Not necessarily if the right one jumps out at me. But, it would have to be real right. What is that?? Don’t know for sure, but I will if it comes along. As for Mecum, I primarily view them as a resource in re. to what a car is worth. Sells for. A guide. I’ve seen a few pass the block and wish I was there to bid. I have no desire in paying additional monies for the buyers premium. This would certainly have to be factored in before bidding. I’ve also seen some absolutely ridiculous prices private sellers want for cars. Makes me like non reserve auctions even more, Carmine.

Fuzz1957

Well Known Member
The LA ‘62. Is the outside rear view mirror and antenna base engraved or what was done to them? Never saw anything like that out here in the sticks.

Fuzz

MAGA

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I thought maybe it was for driving through the fields over the corn stalks.

Back in the BM (before Mary) days when I had fun I was driving a 57 plymouth one time. I paid $35 for it as it had been rear ended. I was looking for something that had no payments....other than insurance. I found it. We used to go out to a State Park north of town and tear around off road drinking beer. There was some crop ground in the park. I'd been out there horsing around and when I got back on the highway the front end had a bad shimmy. After opening another beer I came up with an alignment solution. Go back to the park and drive cross ways to the corn rows at about 40 MPH..........worked like a charm. I should have went into business.......:facepalm