SBC vs. 409

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Mike is correct, finding an original 62 SS 409 convertible with the original motor is going to be extremely hard.
I bought and sold about 6 - 62 convertibles over about a 15 year period looking for a good rust free body, and never found one with the original motor. My 62 SS convertible is an original 409 car, but the motor was long gone.

I have seen 2 original 1962 409 convertibles with the original motors over the last 10 years. The biggest problem is proving that the car came with a 409.
Paul
Im not familiar with how other states do their titles but Missouri and Illinois has HP listed on the title. I have a real 63 409 Impala that I bought from Illinois and the title has 59.5 HP on it, a 327 is 51 HP and so on. I think this would be another way to verify what the car was originally equipped with.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Trying to tell anyone how to spend their money is a losing proposition, IMO. How many time has someone asked you for advice, then immediately done the exact opposite? Just sayin', no offense intended, Carmine. But here goes:

The fact that you are asking the question tells me you would be happier with the 327/300, everything else being equal.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I would be happy with a real SS V8 car that has an original looking 409 sitting between the fenders:dance

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Im not familiar with how other states do their titles but Missouri and Illinois has HP listed on the title. I have a real 63 409 Impala that I bought from Illinois and the title has 59.5 HP on it, a 327 is 51 HP and so on. I think this would be another way to verify what the car was originally equipped with.

First I heard of that. I don't think many states did that.
I don't follow the logic of 59.5 vs 51, please explain, thanks.

RussC

Well Known Member
At that time Missouri had varying registration fees based on horsepower. ..fee for 60 hp was greater than 50. Not sure how they came up with the 2 digit hp numbers

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
First I heard of that. I don't think many states did that.
I don't follow the logic of 59.5 vs 51, please explain, thanks.
As the engine size got smaller the HP was less, I think a 283 was listed as 48 HP. My 63 Impala had 59.5 HP on the Illinois title but when it came back from Missouri in my name they listed it as just 59 HP. It probably has something to do with the assessed value, in Missouri you have to pay personal property tax every year on your vehicles in order to get plates.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
At that time Missouri had varying registration fees based on horsepower. ..fee for 60 hp was greater than 50. Not sure how they came up with the 2 digit hp numbers
You may be right on the cost of the plates, they probably do cost more for the larger engine. I know they still put the HP on the title to this day.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I believe the figure stated is the taxable horsepower.
That may be but getting back to verifying what engine the car was originally equipped with, this would be one way to check as a 409 equipped car would have had a larger HP stated (i.e. 59 instead of 51 or 48).

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Trying to tell anyone how to spend their money is a losing proposition, IMO. How many time has someone asked you for advice, then immediately done the exact opposite? Just sayin', no offense intended, Carmine. But here goes:

The fact that you are asking the question tells me you would be happier with the 327/300, everything else being equal.

If a very nice, original '62 SS vert came along with a 327/300 4 speed, I would not discount that opportunity. If it piques my interest, I can see a purchase. My primary concern is that if I buy a 409 powered car, I want to be as sure as possible, that I'm getting what I pay for. From reading these recent threads and previous ones, I guess there is no guarantee that a particular 409 came with the car it's presently in. Motors can be period correct, but that's it. And this would be according to building date code/number?? Is that my understanding?? I think the SS verification is much easier to confirm. The build sheet or dealer purchase sheet, could take alot of mystery out of everything. But how often do you find one of those???
The reason I asked previously about the seats in an SS model being all vinyl, is because I saw a nice '62 SS vert that said the interior seats were vinyl and cloth. I thought this might be wrong. I guess it still could have been an original SS and maybe the owner changed out the seat covers differently. If the cowl tag hasn't been changed or tampered with, wouldn't that also indicate the type of material used in the interior. Isn't there a code for all vinyl which would be for an SS model. At least I think that, Carmine.

dakota tom

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Sounds like the British system for licensing. HP is based on bore size. That is why you see undersquare engine designs there.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
ALL SS bucket seats came from the factory with all vinyl. The only cloth used originally was on bench seats, which are not SS cars. Obviously as you said someone could have changed it over time.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
"I want to be as sure as possible, that I'm getting what I pay for."

Well that's totally up to you. Look at the car, if you like it and the price pleases you then buy it.

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
If a very nice, original '62 SS vert came along with a 327/300 4 speed, I would not discount that opportunity. If it piques my interest, I can see a purchase. My primary concern is that if I buy a 409 powered car, I want to be as sure as possible, that I'm getting what I pay for. From reading these recent threads and previous ones, I guess there is no guarantee that a particular 409 came with the car it's presently in. Motors can be period correct, but that's it. And this would be according to building date code/number?? Is that my understanding?? I think the SS verification is much easier to confirm. The build sheet or dealer purchase sheet, could take alot of mystery out of everything. But how often do you find one of those???
The reason I asked previously about the seats in an SS model being all vinyl, is because I saw a nice '62 SS vert that said the interior seats were vinyl and cloth. I thought this might be wrong. I guess it still could have been an original SS and maybe the owner changed out the seat covers differently. If the cowl tag hasn't been changed or tampered with, wouldn't that also indicate the type of material used in the interior. Isn't there a code for all vinyl which would be for an SS model. At least I think that, Carmine.
Carmine, a car should have an engine where the casting date and the engine assembly date precede the build date of the car. Also on the right front engine block pad along with the build date and suffix code there should be a partial serial number stamped there also. This serial number should match the sequence number part of your VIN. This can be forged however, the VIN tag on the body will only tell you if it was a V8 or a 6 cylinder car. This is why I mentioned the HP listed on the title, it gives you another way to check what size V8 engine the car came with from the factory but if the original engine was destroyed or stolen anyone could forge another block vin to appear as an original engine. Before you spend serious money for a numbers matching car you need to get several opinions from people you know and trust.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks for that info. I totally agree with your last sentence, Carmine.

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
A guy local to me purchased a 1962 Impala SS convertible last year with what appears to be the correct 380 horse 409 four speed at auction for something like $31K. James rebuilt the T-10 for him. I verified that the suffix codes matched the VIN. It's Red over Red now but was a different color combo from the factory. I wish I had been at that auction with some cash in my pocket :).

1962 SS convertible.jpg

So they are out there!

Good luck!
TomK

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A guy local to me purchased a 1962 Impala SS convertible last year with what appears to be the correct 380 horse 409 four speed at auction for something like $31K. James rebuilt the T-10 for him. I verified that the suffix codes matched the VIN. It's Red over Red now but was a different color combo from the factory. I wish I had been at that auction with some cash in my pocket :).

View attachment 77140

So they are out there!

Good luck!
TomK

That was a great price just for a convert SS. Steal of the year if it is the real engine.
Being at the right place at the right time WITH cash on hand is key. Most likely you don't get that deal sitting at home perusing the internet.