Shafer Exhaust

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I am about 30 miles from Tampa where Shafer Reproduction Exhaust is located. I ordered a new 2 1/2 " exhaust foe my '63 Impala 409. I'll pick it up Monday and take it with me when I drive home to Western New York in early April. They gave me 15% off because they didn't have to ship it. I'm getting the cut pipes for two reasons. First is length of tail pipes uncut would be difficult to it in the Durango with all the other stuff I have to pack and secondly, I have a drive on lift, 8' pipes are hard to fish through as the lift gets in the way. I am getting the turbo mufflers but if I don't like the sound I will get some flowmaster 40's Loved their sound on my '65 GTO.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
I'[[ use band clamps and a couple tacs.The pipes will be swedged to slide together not butted. Only the tail pipes will be cut. Comes with hangars and clamps. Brian (BSL409) has used the shafers exhaust on his restorations so I took that as a recommendation. Nice people to talk with too.

Last edited:

TomO

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Thanks for the info. I was curious about what Shafers did to help re-connect the cut pipes.
TomO

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I used the Shafers exhaust on my 63 as well. I didn't use the mufflers, but went with Magnaflows instead. I had a hard time with the band clamps and just used standard muffler clamps. After I rebuild the rear suspension, I will end up welding the tailpipes together after I'm done with it.
It's a very nice kit and would recommend it to anyone who is needing exhaust.