Trains

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
They went to Yermo out in the middle of the desert where there is a former UP station. I think there's still a Y out there. They discharged all us passengers in Barstow, cleared the train out, then backed it out heading east. We were bussed back to Rancho Cucamonga Metrolink station where we parked. It was a long 12 hour day, but it certainly was worth it. I plan on going back to Highway 138 to the same spot I watched from on Wednesday and see it again. I don't know when that engine will be back down here again, but they rebuilt it so thoroughly that they definitely plan to use it. Anything's possible, as the steam team so demonstrated this time. Phil, ya gotta go see it when it runs through Kansas in November.This is like going ads seeing an operational Z-11, but there were more Z-11's than Big Boys. Probably still true today.

I know I sure would like to take a ride on her. Greg how much does a trip cost like the one you were on?

Mark

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This trip was quite expensive because it was a special excursion for and by the rail museum that had it on display since January of 1962. Union Pacific has a web site for it's heritage fleet.They have vintage diesels, a few steam locomotives, one about to be rebuilt to use again, the Big Boy and a 4-8-4,#844. Check from time to time to learn about excursion trips and public access and ticket availability.Price depends on what the next trip costs.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Just got back from Cajon Pass from the same location I watched from on Wednesday, people all over the pace, the rocks, the mountains, places they weren't supposed to be, all else. The train right now is arriving at Colton Yard,this whole excursion was extremely well run and well organized and is living proof that things can still be well planned and carried out.It's befitting the crowning pinnacle of the American industrial revolution to represent it this well.

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
It's a 4-8-8-4
That's a 2-12-4....right?????
It's a 4-8-8-4

Sorry for being ignorant but what do the numbers mean? wheels? Diameter? Capacity?

When we were over for the convention in 2014 we went to Kinsley and stopped at a museum there was good sized engine there
Also one at Dodge city but i think the Kinsley one had larger wheels? cant remember.

Only one steam engine running in new zealand any more

https://www.nzonscreen.com/title/great-crunchie-train-robbery-cadbury-commercial-1975#

This is a link to it in an add for TV back in 75

Steve

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Wow that locomotive is friggin heavy. I see the UP has a max railcar weight of 315,000 # and Big Boy comes in at 750,000# Probably needs all those drive wheels and weight to get the horsepower to the track. I grew up in a little town called Mt Auburn, population 150. It was the highest point on the Rock Island Line between St Louis and St Paul. There was many a time the long freight trains couldn't make the grade from the south. They would unhook part of the cars and put them on the side track there in town and then go back and get the rest. I also remember the passenger train called the Rocket that came through town around 10 PM. It lived up to the name as it was hauling a$$ and didn't slow down.

Last edited:

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Hey, this is my 1000th post! I guess I still like to write. A couple interesting facts regarding the weekend's excursion regarding Big Boy 4014, it's the only 4000 class to come to California, the second steam locomotive to ever use the Palmdale Cutoff, the other one being ex SP 4449, the Daylight, as that line was built in 1967,the only steam to use Colton Yard except for UP 844 and SP 4449, the only passenger train to use that route since Amtrak took over in 1971, with the exception being the 4449 run in 1989, and probably a lot of rare facts in addition to these. It was a notable moment.

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
The specs I was looking at show Big Boy 4014 weighing 1,200,000 lbs. Lots of iron there. That should flatten a penny laid on the track.

That sure would flatten a penny Ron. Whenever I tried it I could never find the penny. I thought I read the 1,200,000# was the locomotive and tender combined???

oleblu72

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Notice how puny the locomotive in the second pic is compared to 4014 next to the water tank.

I also noticed the water tank is the only thing that's the same in the new pik and on the old pik it looks like they have a small cemetery inside the picket fence I think and what is that louvered thing inside the fence maybe the cemetery has central air.:D

Mark

FS560

Well Known Member
I had Lionel trains as a kid and am thinking about more before the grandson gets too old. We never had space for trains with our son.

Anyway, how many of you model train guys have a Casey Jones train drivers hat that you wear when playing with your trains?

I have a friend that does.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
Phil, U.P. Big Boy 4014 arrives in Kansas City,Mo. Sunday, 11-17. 6:30 PM. It is on display at Union Station, 30 W.Pershing Rd. on Monday 11/18 from 9 AM to 3 PM. It leaves on Tuesday, 11/19 at 8 AM. You gotta see it, and you gotta see it run. They never ran Big Boys anyplace on the Union Pacific but between Cheyenne,Wyoming and Ogden,Utah.When they were finally retired in late 1961 or early 1962, they were dispersed to various locations, museums, etc.but were hauled there dead. None of them ran after July of 1959. This one is the exception. It was the only Big Boy out of the 25 that were built that ever ran on the U.P. system outside of that area.Very historically interesting. 4014 was re engineered during its rebuild in order for it to negotiate the curves a little better, but other than that, it's pretty much as built. That was when the railroad had a big job to do, and they designed a locomotive so advanced and powerful that it would do whatever it took. What a different attitude!

Last edited:

FS560

Well Known Member
Did the Big Boys use fuel oil (#6) or coal even in the western states? Does this one use oil now? If oil, how many gallons per mile under full power?
When might have steam locomotives begun using oil to fire the boiler?
Given whatever capacity of the oil tanks, how many miles can this thing run on a tank of oil, or is water the limiting resource?
Is the weight of fuel oil and water included in the 1,200,000 pounds?