West Coast Shoot Out 2012

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Joel, sorry to hear about your engine problems, we were all hoping it was just a gasket !!! You should contact Jack Gibbs about your repairs, it was easy to ship mine down to him and got it back quick. He probably has all the parts on hand to make the repairs also. Keep us informed on what you find and give me a call if there is anything I can do to help.

Bill

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Wow, Joel sorry for your engine problem. I agree with Bill, contact Jack Gibbs. He will work with you on what expectations you have for your car. He can built them from stock to stroked race. You can contact him through his website, http://www.409performance.com

Good luck

Paul

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Sorry to hear about the news Joel. Now you can take advantage of all the new speed parts!!! Probably be in the 9's next year!!!!

409newby

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Sorry to hear about your engine Joel, I thought that crap only happnes to me! as soon as we get our computer problems fixed Patti will have some video's and pics to post, a lot of your car. Pat:doh

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
It just keeps getting better. While I was under the car removing the motor mount bolts I noticed a rod sticking out of my oil pan near the dip stick hole.:cry Engine is ready to come out. Have a hoist for next week, will pull the engine & take it to the speed shop to see what the damage is. Sure hope I did not distroy the block. Will let you know what the results are.
Joel

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Joel, usually a rod sticking out of the pan and water where it doesn't belong means the block might have some serious issues. Hope you can save it, but I'd start hitting up all my buddies on this web site just in case. And probably call up Jack.

blown55409

Well Known Member
Real sorry to hear how bad it is but not really supprised. Water coming out of the exhaust is never good. I have seen this happen before, in fact that is how I got my 409. It was in a buddy's car when a 1/4-20 nut went into #7 cylinder and cracked it. All told I've had my block welded in two places and sleeved #7 and I put boost to it and run the snot out of it. Save the block if you can. If you need to weld up your block ask the guys that restore old farm equipment, they will probably know someone who is good at it.

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Well the engine is out & I took it to the speed shop. :cry I will post some pictures in the near future. Hole in the oil pan from # 3 piston rod. Rod broke in half, put a hole in the oil pan & messed up the plate in the engine(not sure what that does). #1 intake valve broke off & got sucked up into the intake manifold, some damage to the top of #1 piston, valve guide broke & hole in the head.:grumble So it looks as if I need a new head. Anyone out ther got an extra 690 head in good shape? Now it is decision time. Since I need 2 pistions & rods I am thinking of purchasing Jack Gibbs 4" stroker kit & a set of edelbrock heads :dunno Any suggestions? Thanks.

Joel

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well the engine is out & I took it to the speed shop. :cry I will post some pictures in the near future. Hole in the oil pan from # 3 piston rod. Rod broke in half, put a hole in the oil pan & messed up the plate in the engine(not sure what that does). #1 intake valve broke off & got sucked up into the intake manifold, some damage to the top of #1 piston, valve guide broke & hole in the head.:grumble So it looks as if I need a new head. Anyone out ther got an extra 690 head in good shape? Now it is decision time. Since I need 2 pistions & rods I am thinking of purchasing Jack Gibbs 4" stroker kit & a set of edelbrock heads :dunno Any suggestions? Thanks.

Joel
Hey Joel,
Sorry to hear about the damage.
I guess your situation comes down to three things
1, budget:doh
2, availability of parts:dunno
3, how quick you want to go:hug:brow:beer:cheers
The rest is up to you.

Best regards

Steve

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Joel, I think I'd follow Jack's recommendations. In the end you will have a much better engine and go faster. He is a great resource and has a ton of experience.

Unless you are one of those folks that wants to do it all yourself (I am kinda that way) I would say let him run with it!

Garbageman

Supporting Member 1
Joel, I'm sorry to hear about the extent of the damage to your engine. It must of let go during that burnout. You do have a dilema. What you decide to do will be dependent on what you want to use your car for. If you want a stroked asphalt ripping motor that you can count on having to upgrade other components in the drivetrain so they can with stand the horsepower and torque, if you continue to race it. I would talk to Gibbs and other builders on this site to get their opinions on the subject.
I wish you the best and look forward to seeing what you end up doing.
Paul

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Joel,

Sorry to hear about all the damage to the motor !!!! :bang I know you are really enjoying the time spent at the track, so I'd say go for it ! You need to find a name for your race team, find a couple of sponsors, and write all the expenses off on you taxes ??? Wish I could help you with some parts, but I don't have anything around here that would help. I think, if you decide to go with Jack, I'd ship or drop the motor off to him, rather than just buying the parts and having someone in SLC put it together. He will stand by his work, and knows what he's doing. You don't want to have the kinds of issues you had with the valve train this year ?

If there is anything I can do, let me know...
Bill

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
decisions, decisions,,, :rubIt may all hinge on just how badly damaged your engine is.
It's hard to say what the best answer is but even a MILD stroker will pull like gangbusters. As others have mentioned, a stroker will also test the limits of the drivetrain.

Last 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
decisions, decisions,,, :rubIt may all hinge on just how badly damaged your engine is.
It's hard to say what the best answer is but even a MILD stroker will pull like gangbusters. As others have mentioned, a stroker will also test the limits of the drivetrain.

Yes it will, I twisted the input shaft off of Scotts T-10 at a test and tune after we came back from Thompson. :cryGuess I'm not a very good Dad.

Lonnie

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Your a great Dad. We had a spare tranny and it is working fine. Joel the stroker is a hoot. Dad you need to remember all the s@%t I destoyed as a youngin . It is all fun and games seeing you smile and enjoying yourself makes it ok to break more stuff. :D

jbschneeweis

Well Known Member
Well I have decided to go with Jack. Engine went off to him today. He is installing a stroker kit & isky cam & shipping it back to me.:) Still undecided about the heads, am working on a deal for a set of edelbrock heads. :deal Hopefully it will come through. :pray Will keep you informed of the progress. Thanks for all the good info.

Joel