Wrecker 350 runs! (but no oil to rockers!!)

bobs409

Administrator
Don, the mains are #1 .003, #2 .002, #3 .002, #4 .002 & #5 .003

All rods are .002

If I tighten the mains up by .001 I'm bound to get better pressure.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
YES,and have bearing failure from being too tight!Theres absolutly NOTHING wrong with those numbers for your application.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I'm still pondering those main bearing witness marks.:scratch
Same here! Are the main cap arrows all pointing forward? There should be no scuff/wear marks on those bearings. I took apart a 327 with 100K+ on it and ALL the bearing shells had a nice 100% satin finish, no shiny areas. Also, did you put the plastigauge strips all the way across the bearing journal? I seem to recall no oil on the bearings either. Leo

bobs409

Administrator
Caps are correct order and facing the right way.

Actually I did go across the whole thing with the plastigage. It measured .002 - .003 or in other words, the strip was narrower on one end by a little.

Barry GMC

Check the crank for being out of round. Its more common than most realize. Also I will probably anger some but the germans and the japs consider .003 pretty worn out or unacceptable on thier stuff. Front and rear main specs on a small block are actually less than the rest. Also could be the guy who trued the grinder stone, did not get it quite right, and there is a taper to the journal. I should change my name to .002 max. haha. Barry.

Barry GMC

Heres something for the pilot and Don, My Grandad says you want the aircraft stuff slobbering oil like a hound dog, and the car stuff tight like your first girl. Maybe someone can tell everyone why? Barry

blkss64

Well Known Member
I reread this entire thread, maybe I missed the answer. Did you pull the cam and check the installation of the cam bearings? I have had engines rebuilt by nationwide companies that incorrectly installed the cam bearings. If the holes do not line up, you get little or no oil to different parts of the engine. With problems like this, everything needs to be doublechecked. I have been burned like this before. I am hoping you checked the bearings,

bobs409

Administrator
I didn't pull the cam. I had asked earlier if anyone thought I should but no one said anything so I let it go.

I thought the cam bearings have a groove on the back and the hole position didn't matter so much? :scratch

bobs409

Administrator
Barry, I would think the machine shop would have checked the crank for being out of round. ?? They did everything else; magnafluxed, polished the journals and balanced the whole thing. Is that not a normal check?

Thanks,

bobs409

Administrator
Everyone is so quiet lately. :yawn

So what's the consensus on the hole in the cam bearing location? I'm getting conflicting info on that.

Some say it doesn't matter, others say they need to line up with the holes in the block and yet others say 2-3 o'clock position is best. My "How to rebuild your small block Chevy" book says on page 80, "the position of the hole won't matter unless you have the early block".

It's no wonder I'm confused already!!! :rub

I don't recall where the machine shop put the holes but I found one picture I have with it apart and can see the front bearing has the hole at the bottom:

100_5173.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
If theres any problem with the cam bearings,it'll most likely be on the rear cam bearing.That having been said,if youre getting oil from the rockers,and seeing 45 or so psi using the drill to power te oil pump,you'll be fine once you fire it up on the stand or in the truck.

bobs409

Administrator
Yeah, I think I'm going to toss it back in and hope for the best.

Kicking myself that I didn't pull the cam though.

In my research I found one guy mentioned that oil will only come up the lifter/push rod when the lifter is on the base circle of the cam. Since I'm not rotating the engine, that's probably why I'm not seeing much of anything.

Thanks Don. :)

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I think your clearances are o.k. I would reassemble and use 10w30 or 15w40 oil. I will hope for the best. Did you use a threaded plug in front this time, or the soft plugs. I use threaded plugs.

bobs409

Administrator
I used new expansion plugs with some sealer. I didn't want to chance getting any metal pieces in the engine by threading them but that would be the way to go.

Guess I'll know if a few days. Too much rain today but will get started tomorrow.

Bob

Barry GMC

Sorry Bob About not commenting, I am crazy busy, I am a General contractor and do engines on the side My grandfather has taught me a lot about this, he has been doing this since 1938. He is still active at 89. He currently has 2 8ba fords and a 30 ford model A engine and a cummings 5.9 he is doing. I trust him completely. When he taught me the .002 max rule on cranks I took it seriously. He has sent out thousands of engines. The guy has 3 storm vulcan crank grinders he uses. each for diff stuff. One has 2 easy rests for the straight 8s and the big diesels. BTW this man worked on the planes that knocked the shit out of Japan in ww2. Sorry for the vulgarities. So I talked with him again today and showed him the pics of the two mains, He thinks the crank was set up wrong in the grinder and the mains and rod journals were all ground with a taper. he thinks this is why the oil pressure il a bit low. he says this will allow the oil to go to one side and bleed out. He also said set the crank dry with no rods and tork the mains and see if you can turn it. if not start over. Barry

Barry GMC

.003 is to much. I dont care what people say. IT'S TO MUCH. NO NEW GM ENGINE I EVER MEASURED WAS EVEN CLOSE TO .003. REMEMBER THE MAJORITY OF VOTERS ELECTED THE JOKER WE CALL PRES> DOES THAT MAKE THEM RIGHT. Barry Charon

bobs409

Administrator
Barry, the machine shop only polished the crank. When I assembled this engine, after installing the crank, I did rotate it without the pistons/rods in and it turned perfectly, no bind.

At this point, I'm going to just give it another try. If I have to yank engine back out again, it will be gone over with a much finer comb for sure!

Thanks. :)

bobs409

Administrator
:bang I'm not sure what to do now! On one hand, I'm ready to put it back in and say the hell with it because im disgusted with it all. :mad On the other hand, that wear on the bearings is playing on my mind. If those journals are tapered, I'd sure like to show them to the machine shop and see what they have to say about it! How could they not know this existed? Is there any tolerance for taper? Maybe they felt it was within spec? Can't seem to find much on that subject on the net.

This whole thing has been like a ping pong game. Back and forth in my mind, not sure whether I should run it as is or tear it all down. I feel like no matter what way I go, I'm going to regret it for some reason.

I've just about wore Google out trying to find info on these problems.

1. I could put it back in and if the pressures are good and oil is getting to the rockers, run it!
  2. If pressures not good enough and not enough oil making it to the rockers, then make the decision to tear it down.
  3. Tear it down now before it goes back in the truck.
  4. Sell everything and move to Australia
:cry