Let the Wild Rumpus Begin!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I'd take that river view over my location, which is the site of my former pond :).

Started laying out the street level flooring. East side is stick built 2" by 12"s, West side will be suspended concrete:
STA_5344.JPG

The suspended concrete will be about 11 inches thick. I had to rent some forms that span the 20 feet from center to edge, then it gets decked (temporarily) with one inch of sheathing (actually two half inch 4' by 8' sheets) then a layer of plastic. After the concrete sets up they drop the forms, pull the sheathing and plastic off and that's the underside. The top gets slicked and sealed. We reuse the sheathing on the exterior of the building underneath the siding.

The forms are pretty cool, here's a shot of what they look like from underneath:

STA_5349.JPG

Our main focus is the building across the street, which now has shingles and windows and doors. In our "spare time" we move across the street to the Manshed :).
STC_5374.JPG STC_5374.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

Last edited:

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Grub:

A lot :) :) :). We'll be pouring that in the next day or so, so I'll know more then. It's 900 square feet and almost a foot thick, so that's 9000 cubic feet. Divide that by 27 and you get a cubic yard total. I'm charged about $104 per cubic yard delivered. Plus several tons of rebar, mesh, the cost of a concrete pumper ($650 per visit) and add in the cost for labor to pour and finish.

So I'm not sure of the total weight but I was required by the City to have a Structural Engineer draw up plans for load bearing capacity, etc. That cost me $3950 just for the consultant...

I started out over budget and continue to move forward, undaunted :).

Cheers!
TomK

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Oops! A slight set back on the job site.

I was there just before sunset and noted that the pile of 3/4" rebar was still fully stocked. Then I looked at the suspended section and noted the following:

STA_5380.JPG
They got the correct spacing per engineering design, but made the mistake of typing half inch to half inch and the plans call for 3/4" and 1/2".

So it all has to come out and be put back correctly. I could have just tied the three-quarter stock to this "mesh" and made it even stronger, but that's $2K worth off rebar you're looking at :). I was planning to use that half inch for the driveway...

Good thing I caught it before they poured it. That puts us out a few days, but it will be done according to the engineered plans :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Very stout design I'd say Tom! I didn't realize Missouri cars were that heavy.
Robert

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5

I was there just before sunset and noted that the pile of 3/4" rebar was still fully stocked. Then I looked at the suspended section and noted the following:

View attachment 44687
They got the correct spacing per engineering design, but made the mistake of typing half inch to half inch and the plans call for 3/4" and 1/2".

So it all has to come out and be put back correctly. I could have just tied the three-quarter stock to this "mesh" and made it even stronger, but that's $2K worth off rebar you're looking at :). I was planning to use that half inch for the driveway...

Good thing I caught it before they poured it. That puts us out a few days, but it will be done according to the engineered plans :) :) :).

Cheers! TomK
I would bet there will be some unhappy camper's :doh

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
If weather permits we hope to pour the suspended slab early this coming week :). Admittedly, I am kinda nervous, it's a lot of weight with maybe 35 cubic yards of concrete. Got the rebar put in place and tied down correctly :). Put the perimeter 2x12s up and added some bracing along the sides.
IMG_5465.JPG

IMG_5475.JPG

Cheers!

TomK

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10

View attachment 44687

Cheers! TomK
I would think the owner of the company you hired to lay the rebar would have to take care of the costs in making this right????????????

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Yeah, mistakes like that are on them. We have a fixed price for labor, it's the materials that vary a little bit. Today we poured 40 years of concrete spread out over a 20' by 45' section of suspended flooring :).
IMG_5482.JPG
The finished product:
STB_5509.JPG

Cheers!
TomK

Attachments

• STA_5508.JPG
    STA_5508.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 15

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Looks good.................................just not quite big enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!