Priscilla. My 63 Impala

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Past few weeks I worked on re-freshing a 348 to put in it until I get my 409 built. It had to be the greasyist thing I ever worked on. All standard, honed the cylinders, polished crank. New rings/bearings. Isky cam and waiting for my 817 heads at the machine shop. Will have an Eddy RPM intake, 750 Holley and MSD ignition. Should run pretty good.
20230528_120916.jpg20230529_123015.jpg20230529_123036.jpg20230529_123045.jpg

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
And the idea to pop a motor in it and work on it while driving never panned out for me. Checking a few things like butchered wiring, headlight switch frozen from mice piss and seat's that were collapsed that they carried foam out of and the smell just decided right there it was coming apart. Did a frame off and glad I did it that way . Took me six years ,four of those while working at job and two after I retired.

Last edited:

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
That philosophy to me means 2x $$$$. I like to throw my money to intended target and get what I want . That's just me... :dunno
Well, it makes sense to me for my goals. I will have about $500 into the 348 in refreshing it. It serves a multi purpose here. I dont want to wait years before driving it. I did it before and lost interest. I can have it driving by the end of the year, whereas several years from now or so not knowing how long it will take to build the 409.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Do you plan on doing a frame up eventually? I guess it depends a lot on that because for me I thought I was wasting my time otherwise because I knew that was my plan to do a frame up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 327

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Do you plan on doing a frame up eventually? I guess it depends a lot on that because for me I thought I was wasting my time otherwise because I knew that was my plan to do a frame up.
No plans on it currently. It need very little metal work. Replacing body bushings and as much mechanicals and suspension as possible. The last car I did, I spent nearly 7years working on it and I hated it. I can't have that happen again with this one as well.

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
That philosophy to me means 2x $$$$. I like to throw my money to intended target and get what I want . That's just me... :dunno

I hear ya. Then once he gets his 09 built, he'll have a perfectly good running 348 to pull, and then he'll have to find another cool Chevy to drop that into and..... :D:good

I have become addicted to ridge reamer, stone hone, ring and bearing rebuilds:browsooo much cheaper than machine work and for a driver who cares.