62 409 4 Speed

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I can't imagine how nice it's got to feel to have it arrive safely from so far away. Congratulations!

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey All, Thanks for the great feed back. Yes I have pushed the 58 apache now it to the corner of the garage and the 62 is now going to take priority. Plan is for this coming next weekend to have the front end disassembled engine and trans out, doors and boot lid off. Then immediately after that we are on the big bird on june 4th for our tour of pleasure, HA HA:happy.
As a matter of interest for some. It cost me US $1699.00 to have the car sent from WI - Los Angeles (ouch:dead). To have it sent from LA to New Zealand was only US $1870.00. So i was going to compare the inland freight within the US to the inland freight with NZ to see what the dollar comparison was, but regretfully I ran out of country within NZ and could not do this LOL:laugh (we are only 990 miles long by 250 miles wide at the widest part):roll.

See some of you real soon.:drunk

Gav

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hey All, Thanks for the great feed back. Yes I have pushed the 58 apache now it to the corner of the garage and the 62 is now going to take priority. Plan is for this coming next weekend to have the front end disassembled engine and trans out, doors and boot lid off. Then immediately after that we are on the big bird on june 4th for our tour of pleasure, HA HA:happy.
As a matter of interest for some. It cost me US $1699.00 to have the car sent from WI - Los Angeles (ouch:dead). To have it sent from LA to New Zealand was only US $1870.00. So i was going to compare the inland freight within the US to the inland freight with NZ to see what the dollar comparison was, but regretfully I ran out of country within NZ and could not do this LOL:laugh (we are only 990 miles long by 250 miles wide at the widest part):roll.

See some of you real soon.:drunk

Gav

I priced shipping a 62 bt from halifax, ns canada to aussie, san francisco, and Helsinki, in 2010, it was in its own 20 ft container, it was US$2800 to aussie, US$2500 to san fran and helsinki.

Congrats on the new car.

Don

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
That IS an awesome car, Gav.:clap It will be, even awesome-r, when it's finished.:brow

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So now that our travels are all over and done with, I managed to get in a bit of a deconstruction weekend this weekend on the 62 and now look forward to putting in the rest of the hard yards to getting body of and commence the real work.
After I pulled the dash out I noticed that under where the lighter goes it says "1962 Chevrolet _9 _ _ _ _" (see picture). Is this something that is normally put on the dash and any idea what the rest of could say!

Cheers
Gav

Attachments

• DSCF6452.jpg
    DSCF6452.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 105
  • DSCF6453.jpg
    DSCF6453.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6454.jpg
    DSCF6454.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCF6455.jpg
    DSCF6455.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 102

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Are there any differences between a 62 & 63 hood (impala)!
Mine needs a bit of work but can pick up a great 63 hood for a good price.
Thanks
Gav

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
G'day, so work has been progressing and have a fair bit of car sanded back, found me a good bonnet now i'm on the hunt for a boot lid. Regretfully after taking the drip rail chrome strips off the drip rails are pretty well buggered and on the lh side has rotted back in to the roof:furious

Anyway, I have been given the opportunity to buy a 409 340HP 64 motor (needs rebuild all standard) waiting on all engine spec's, carb to oil pan and it will also come with a 881 dual manifold and my choice of either 583 or 690 heads (both sets bare but no cracks). With all this what sort of value would one put on this! I have been given a figure but i think it might be a bit high.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gav

Last edited:

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
G'day, so work has been progressing and have a fair bit of car sanded back, found me a good bonnet now i'm on the hunt for a boot lid. Regretfully after taking the drip rail chrome strips off the drip rails are pretty well buggered and on the lh side has rotted back in to the roof:furious

Anyway, I have been given the opportunity to buy a 409 340HP 64 motor (needs rebuild all standard) waiting on all engine spec's, carb to oil pan and it will also come with a 881 dual manifold and my choice of either 583 or 690 heads (both sets bare but no cracks). With all this what sort of value would one put on this! I have been given a figure but i think it might be a bit high.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks
Gav

Where is the engine Gav, in North America? If they have been sonic checked and are good and everything needs a rebuild, a rebuildable 409 sells for $2500-5,000. Many recommend new aluminum Edelbrock complete heads as a better deal than a rebuild of originals.

Those drip rails may be reproduced? 2 door 61 Impala and Bel Air are the same.

Don

Aqua409ss

Well Known Member
Hi Gav,

Good too see your getting stuck into the 62 , in a weird way i like seeing cars stripped right back they look
tuff .That motor (34o hp) you were chasing what kind of coin was he wanting? was only asking cause i the engine i brought over from its mother land was in need of stripping down , check,work etc assembley, accessories price started to get up there quick ... I know i guy over here in QLD Australia that has a couple of engines that i believe are complete runners, i scored a 63 base for 2x4 carb air filter off him !!!!
If ya interested i could put you on to him.

All the best:weld

Eli

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi Gav,

Good too see your getting stuck into the 62 , in a weird way i like seeing cars stripped right back they look
tuff .That motor (34o hp) you were chasing what kind of coin was he wanting? was only asking cause i the engine i brought over from its mother land was in need of stripping down , check,work etc assembley, accessories price started to get up there quick ... I know i guy over here in QLD Australia that has a couple of engines that i believe are complete runners, i scored a 63 base for 2x4 carb air filter off him !!!!
If ya interested i could put you on to him.

All the best:weld

Eli
HeyEli,
I've passed on the engine and other bits for now as have decided I'll just get stuck in to the 62. It would have been nice to stash these parts in the shop as spares and nice to have but the 62 has a 409 already.
But thanks for the offer.

cheers
Gav

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Where is the engine Gav, in North America? If they have been sonic checked and are good and everything needs a rebuild, a rebuildable 409 sells for $2500-5,000. Many recommend new aluminum Edelbrock complete heads as a better deal than a rebuild of originals.

Those drip rails may be reproduced? 2 door 61 Impala and Bel Air are the same.

Don
I thought Gavs car was a 62' Impala and I don't think the drip rails are reproduced. I have a good 62' Olds Starlite top.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Gav, Classic industries sell the metal drip rail's part number R1795 for $144.99 both side's. They also have the chrome rail's that snap on to those also if you need them ,but your old one's can be buffed out if they are not damaged.