LF brake getting hot!

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Did you ever check the hub for being bent as i mentioned earliet with dial indicator??? Or you can switch hubs side to side to see if it solves problem on left. Are the shoes on square (bent backing plates) .

bobs409

Administrator
Did you ever check the hub for being bent as i mentioned earliet with dial indicator??? Or you can switch hubs side to side to see if it solves problem on left. Are the shoes on square (bent backing plates) .
I've been meaning to ask how to check with dial indicator? Will check on the other things you mentioned.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You put dial indicator against face of hub and rotate hub and see how much run out it has. Compared to right to see if any big difference. You should be able to spin hub drum off and see any wobble. Or switch with right to see if any difference.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
You can lay something like a block of wood next to wheel studs from the side and turn hub and see if all stud's are same distance to the wood you have next to it.

bobs409

Administrator
You put dial indicator against face of hub and rotate hub and see how much run out it has. Compared to right to see if any big difference. You should be able to spin hub drum off and see any wobble. Or switch with right to see if any difference.
I'm reading 4-5 thousandths out. Shoes appear to be seated evenly against backing plate.

I'm going to swap the hubs now, will be back... (go grab a snack!) :D

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
I'm reading 4-5 thousandths out. Shoes appear to be seated evenly against backing plate.

I'm going to swap the hubs now, will be back... (go grab a snack!) :D
Quit eating!!! Compare it right side!! Ok you might have to get drums turned as i did once with new drums on my pickup. I would suggest placeing hub and drum bolted toghether when resurfaced and marked after turning not to lose the combination of hub to drum.This is why on disc brake resurfacing discs on the car is a more accurate way than just turning a disc off the car separated from hub.Only do this after checking everything thing else as mentioned.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
Ok, just swapped the hubs and it still does it. Spins easy then grabs and stops tire. Shoes are adjusted loose, hardly touching drum.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Done. Outer area of face is almost .30 out. If I move in close to the lug studs, it gets less about .15

What I don't understand is how it's doing that with the RH hub still on.
:bang
Like i said i put four new drums on a pickup once and had to get those machined to take care of the pulsation out of round. Fine after that.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Unless hubs are really bad on run out which would be unusual i say you will have to get drums resurfaced with hubs bolted to them and permanent marking to save orientation.

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Do the drums have a small tang that can be bent into a locating hole on the hub? I can’t remember what years had that, but it’s there for a reason.
Also, I’ve got a bunch of extra hubs, if needed Bob.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
When resurfacing drums and hub we always tried to put the cone's in middle of inner and outer race for a accurate resurface. The machinest probably knows that ??? Maybe???

bobs409

Administrator
Do the drums have a small tang that can be bent into a locating hole on the hub? I can’t remember what years had that, but it’s there for a reason.
Also, I’ve got a bunch of extra hubs, if needed Bob.
The old ones have that tang. The new ones have 3 smaller holes and one would be in the same area as the tang. Hubs do have a partially drilled hole where that tang would go.

bobs409

Administrator
If it was the hub that was out, why did it not improve by swapping them? If both out, why no problems on the RH side? This makes no sense.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
If it was the hub that was out, why did it not improve by swapping them? If both out, why no problems on the RH side? This makes no sense.
Might be all in the drums did you ever swap the old drums side to side?

bobs409

Administrator
Might be all in the drums did you ever swap the old drums side to side?
No but I will try it next.

I just tried the other new drum and indicator on the outer face and that was .50 thousandths out. Then I put the old one on and it's only .15.