LF brake getting hot!

bobs409

Administrator
If the left shoes are adjusted tighter than the right, it will pull to the left and if the left is working harder, left will get hotter. When I adjust drum brakes. I crank the adjuster until the brakes are locked up and then back them, off until the drum just starts to spin freely.
I don't think they are tighter on one side over the other since when everything was cold, I put the brakes on and had no pull. It's only after things get warm that the pull starts.

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
Since the drum is out of round on left front hitting and missing shoes the self adjusting mechanism could be adjusting that brake tighter as you drive since they adjust forward and backward driving and applying brakes. One way to know is take the cable off the lower finger that turns the adjuster wheel and road test.

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
For 327 35.79 Think all engine's the same drum.
That's 1/2 of what the places I've seen were. I hate Rock Auto but might have to grit my teeth and push the button.

Now since I need 2, knowing "wrong auto" they'll ship from 2 different warehouses with 2 shipping charges and both will be the wrong item... :bang

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's 1/2 of what the places I've seen were. I hate Rock Auto but might have to grit my teeth and push the button.

Now since I need 2, knowing "wrong auto" they'll ship from 2 different warehouses with 2 shipping charges and both will be the wrong item... :bang
You are such a Debbie Downer

blkss64

Well Known Member
So I had a 63 Impala in for brake service a decade ago. 25,000 original garage kept beauty. Brake pull to the right. Resurfaced the drums, new shoes, cylinders , hardware. Drove car. Same pull to the right. Swapped drums, pulled to the right. Replaced the drums, end of story. The owner told me that when he went to look at the car and drive it, she insisted that she would drive the car with him in the passenger seat. He said he always had the brakes applied with her left foot. The heat generated by the brakes changes the metallurgy and causes the drum to bell mouth. NOS drums are not cheap. Maybe Old stock Bendix or other brands are out there. Looks like I am a little late to the party. Good luck Bob. Jon

bobs409

Administrator
Got the drums. Something is NOT right here.

I cleaned the oil off them and gave the LH side a test fit. I had to back the adjuster off some to get it on but not as much as I thought which may indicate these linings are thinner than they should be. Adjuster is showing about 1/2 of it's threads. (pic later)

The real problem came when I put the drum on and got the brakes adjusted so they just barely contact the shoes. Turning the drum seems that the brakes are hitting more in one spot than the rest. (what an out of round drum might feel like) So I put the tire on with 2 lugs and tried to spin it. It spun about 2/3rd or so and stopped! The tire made it worse!

Putting the tire on I suppose got the drum positioned where it should be but in this position, something is way out of whack! The new drum feels like just what the old one was doing! So I tried the other new drum and the exact same thing.

What can cause this??? I've never had anything like this before. :bonk

I still have to try the other side but if I were to guess, that side will have no issues. HELP!!!!! :sos:help

Last edited:

bobs409

Administrator
There is plenty of other gripes and questions I have on these new drums but I'll wait to post those so as not to confuse things more than they are! Plenty of drama so stick around!

:drama