1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

blkblk63ss

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 5
He was also married more than 11 times. I’m completely serious!! I think he just bullsh!tted a few of his “lady friends” into getting hitched, lol. But I loved my Grandpa “Swamper”! Good guy, knew a little about a lot. Rode a train from his small home in Poplar Bluff, MO to St. Louis every Sunday night to work on the GM assembly line. Caught the train back on Friday to come home. Hard life, but he made ends meet.
Damn ,he got a lot of poontang!!!:laugh

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Clutch and column shift rods adjusted. Steering shaft connected. All new bushings, bearings, hardware, seals, etc. What wasn’t sandblasted and polished was painted or powder coated. It’s a sickness, but I love details.

As my grandfather said, “You can either dazzle them with details, or baffle them with bullsh*t”....View attachment 85461
I'm convinced that paying attention to small details and hardware in particular will keep you from making bigger/more expensive mistakes every time. Many of these 50-60 year old parts need a good going over and some preservation steps taken. Not to mention the satisfaction you get out of reassembling something like this, and understanding how it was intended to operate. Good job!

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Slow going. However, I got my rim choice figured out. Clean, no bling, original looking (sort of) lol. Steelies with short style ‘67 Corvette rally rim center caps. Went with 18” x 8” front and 18” x 10” rear. The rears are reversed. They were special ordered to dial in my backspace. Just realized I need to replace the rear lug studs, since the rear disc brake rotor spaced the rims out about 3/8” than expected. Darn.

Now to buy a cheap set of tires to install so I can roll it around the shop. Looks like at full drop with the bags completely aired out, I will be on the frame. Not close, on - lol 750D94A4-B0E7-4957-A1FD-7C5CF68D9868.jpeg96FFDC81-55CB-4386-8A82-914E904CA3A4.jpeg26965B8C-5630-4521-8F97-BB4A7468A80D.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
So did the hood hinges get new rivets and gold zinc plating or just the zinc plating?
Your hood springs look original to me ( they should be painted black). Original hood hinge springs are much
better to reuse vs reproduction hood hinge springs.
Paul

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Got my mock up tires on in front. 245/40/18 on an 18” x 8” steel rim. I custom ordered the rims with specific backspacing. Will top them off with ‘67 Corvette rallye short disc brake caps. I was determined to create a look that no body else had, that was cool, and didn’t cost a grand or more PER rim/tire. Getting the rear tires in tomorrow. Went with a 275/40/18 on an 18” x 9” rim. Once I get them mounted and the center caps on, I’ll post a picture.

Like I said, just mocking up ride heights now, but it has the ability to lay on the crossmember, lol.

Next will be plumbing brake lines and getting the rear disc parking brake connected (which will be a pain since I’ll have to have custom cables made). Oh well, it’s only money.
4C6D90EB-9B8D-4AAA-8816-D1BAC2AD58D8.jpegF7BB07A2-B07E-4EBC-844C-FD21A57AEE5B.jpeg

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Seems like forever since I’ve updated everyone on this time and money consuming build.

Work, family, and lack of time has really kept me away from this thing, but since it’s been so hot, I figured garage time would be a good use of my time.

I’ve just reassembled the entire front cap, minus the inner fenders. Most everything from the bumper brackets back to the firewall has been powder coated factory 60% black. The inner fenders may take some massaging due to the fact that when the air is out if the bags, it may hit. So I may section them to cover the entire tire when in the weeds.

I spent the last two days running and rerunning the brake lines from the proportioning valve to the wheels. These are the times that being a perfectionist really sucks. Everytime I had a line bent and routed, it wasn’t straight enough or perfectly parallel with the other lines. It’s a curse.

Should be getting back grille brackets from the powdercoater this week. Then I need to get the inner fenders mocked up and test fitted. After that will come the paint on the inside of the front fender sheetmetal. Would really like to get the front clip on and completed in the next month or so.

Well anyway, here’s a few pics of the time consuming, never ending, money eating, Impala. 7C5094DD-D6FB-4B38-B895-015AC0789E78.jpeg7FF46C5A-0611-453D-A827-A3D812626890.jpeg87768D68-0DD6-4563-8674-D3D7DA2D3DCB.jpeg0938408A-75A5-413A-BE45-2AE43BABBBA8.jpegA9D98A67-6985-44CF-919A-4E81A382E02B.jpegD2A882E4-DD77-4375-B26D-3E91D0A4E7AF.jpeg4249E597-9D02-49F5-B877-6650054033DD.jpeg8E7D7DA7-FBEE-4995-A8E9-FDF014E634B0.jpeg

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Clean enough to eat off of. Looks great:good Hey Doug if you find a place that repop's the little foam/rubber block, or seal, that fits over the heater core inlet/outlet that seals the holes in the heater box, let me know please. Mine's junk and i can't find that damn thing anywhere. New or used. I think it's 61 only. Maybe 62 also i don't know.

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Clean enough to eat off of. Looks great:good Hey Doug if you find a place that repop's the little foam/rubber block, or seal, that fits over the heater core inlet/outlet that seals the holes in the heater box, let me know please. Mine's junk and i can't find that damn thing anywhere. New or used. I think it's 61 only. Maybe 62 also i don't know.

Ecklers has them, think they are around $21. I have one from them now, I just haven’t installed it yet.