1961 Impala 2 Door Sedan - Let's Get Started...

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I'm not a 'big wheel' guy, but those big wheels with those caps look great on that car:good:good. Wow. And thanks btw I will check on Ecklers for that gizmo.

I’m not either. I even have a complete set of Billet Specialties 20” rims brand new in the box that I put on the car, hated it, and put the rims back in the boxes and stored them. I wanted something different that looked sort of older, like if someone stretched a steelie and threw a cap on it.

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
About 1982 or so, we got hold of a 61 Bel Air 2 dr post car without engine and trans. It was real oxidized from sitting outside for a long time, but all the trim was there, and no dents or rust. A good cleanup job helped its appearance a lot. We stuck a drive train out of another race car into it and ran it at the '83 Winternationals. Didn't do particularly well with it, but we had fun. My buddy also had a roller '61 Impala sport coupe. We surmised that it would be neat if it were possible to swap the trim, emblems, and the dash parts between the two cars to make a 61 impala 2 door sedan, and a 61 Bel Air hardtop out of the two. We noticed the doors on both 2 doors were the exact same length, 48 1/4", as were the doors on the 63 Impala sport coupe and the Bel Air 2 door post I had that I raced. That would have provided all the necessary side trim for both cars, the emblems, the dash parts, the interior widgets applicable to both models, and a lot of other things as well. It never happened, however, and that was probably best, who knows what we would have gotten into that we didn't know about. It's the unseen enemy that gets you rather than the one in your sights.

Last edited:

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Front fenders hung and the entire front clip is back together after 3 years. New hardware, powdercoating, seals, rubber bits, etc. I’m leaving the original brightwork, chrome, and exterior paint (which is the original GM Magic Mirror lacquer).

I’m sure at a show I’ll get, “Your paint is old and it has a few bruises”. Then I want to open the hood, the doors, the trunk, and have them look under the car and be blown away. At least that’s my intended goal, lol. 5371F53E-DA67-432A-BF85-F9AFB77C9D74.jpegAACE04ED-1E65-4693-BCFD-E1631CCA2159.jpeg323499DA-546F-4321-8DD0-FA7BD020FC45.jpeg8651C2E8-BDD0-4D2D-8265-9823C333B027.jpeg01D6F3FC-BCE6-4D51-80C0-EEA9A744E474.jpeg

tcb-1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I wouldn’t have repainted either.It all looks awesome.Your work is inspirational.There are some very high quality restorations happening on this site.Keep raising the bar.

Thank you for those words, but I’d never be able to compete with most of the beautiful Impala/Belair/Biscaynes on this site. It’s not an SS or a convertible, just a lowly Impala sedan. Probably wasting money on a restoration on what I can ever get back, but I’m learning a lot. New techniques, ways to work smarter, materials that look better and last longer. Taking my time and not getting in a rush.

But boy, I’d sure love a convertible someday to do this level of resto on. I can always dream!!

409gang

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Thank you for those words, but I’d never be able to compete with most of the beautiful Impala/Belair/Biscaynes on this site. It’s not an SS or a convertible, just a lowly Impala sedan. Probably wasting money on a restoration on what I can ever get back, but I’m learning a lot. New techniques, ways to work smarter, materials that look better and last longer. Taking my time and not getting in a rush.

But boy, I’d sure love a convertible someday to do this level of resto on. I can always dream!!
Its not a waste of money if its what you like, no other opinions matter. Besides that who wouldn't like it, its Beautiful!!