1962 Impala Project

62Impala

I painted all of the cut ins before hand (firewall, door jams, underside the trunk, edges of fenders and hood) and then we assembled and painted the car together to avoid any issues with paint not matching.

Did you paint the car apart or assembled?

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Just like the PRO's do it. :beer LOOKING GOOD! I like taking lots of pics, most people don't have a clue how much labor is involved in one of these projects. Need to show them! Keep the updates coming. Leo

62Impala

Does anyone have any tips for recovering the rear arm rests? I think I will give them a try this weekend.
Thanks!

Nick

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
I tried to do mine rear panels myself and gave up. Hell, I could'nt even get the front armrest covers on neatly, they looked like a saddle on a sow. I ended up taking all four armrests to my upholstery guy. I am a pretty handy fellow, but, A MAN HAS GOT TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS!! :bangLeo

62Impala

I just finished recovering one of the rear arm rests. I think it came out pretty good for a first try. Only have a couple small ripples near the curved corner. The stitching on the Cars covers isn't as tight as the original covers so the seam seems to stretch more when you pull them tight over the edges. I think I can work them out when I cut the hole for the ash tray and install it. I'm going to let it dry for the night before doing that.

Attachments

• armrest1.jpg
    armrest1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 39
  • armrest2.jpg
    armrest2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 38
  • armrest3.jpg
    armrest3.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 34

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I am curious about the california built car, how late it was built, are those the original bumpers they are three piece?. Do you think the car was delivered in california or out of state when new . I would like to a see a picture of the frame at the back. This is purley out of interest on my part, great looking project.

Quik9r
mopar 066 (Small).jpgmopar 068 (Small).jpgmopar 069 (Small).jpg
Kevin,
What was you interest in the L.A. built cars? I noticed that on Nick’s Impala the frame was a box frame LA built V8 car with one pc bumpers. So today I was over to Bob’s and noticed that his Belair frame is not boxed but also was a L.A built V8 car and one pc bumpers

quik9r

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
View attachment 18348View attachment 18349View attachment 18350
Kevin,
What was you interest in the L.A. built cars? I noticed that on Nick’s Impala the frame was a box frame LA built V8 car with one pc bumpers. So today I was over to Bob’s and noticed that his Belair frame is not boxed but also was a L.A built V8 car and one pc bumpers

Brian, I have always looked at frames, under primer and build dates. My brothers car was flint built 244 XXX May 5 and has the "wrinkle frame" (boxed at the back), three piece bumpers. My car LA built 231 xxx, second week July, delivered in california but had three piece bumpers. I was always under the impression the california delivered cars had to meet the one piece bumper law, therfore my interest has always been to check and ask. I have always liked the look of the one piece bumper and both cars are wearing them today. My car had lots of red oxide primer, the btothers car had red and black. I have seen grey primer underside and think that may have been south east built cars? anyone confirm? I do know that most baltimore and flint cars did have the nice "wrinkle frame". Hope this starts more confusion and talk:crazy

Quik9r

62Impala

Here are some updated photo's of the project which are long overdue. Car is almost all complete minus the front grill and headlight bezels. I'm planning to send those out to Dave Kosman to have redone in a couple of weeks. I'm holding off on getting the A/C working for now until I decide if I'm going to swap the 283 out for a 409. And a special thanks is due to Brian (BSL409) for all of the countless phone calls I've made for help and advice over the past 3 years while working on the car.

Attachments

• Exterior 1.jpg
    Exterior 1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 67
  • Exterior 2.jpg
    Exterior 2.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Exterior 3.jpg
    Exterior 3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 55

62Impala

Here are a few more photos...I accidently hit post before adding them all on the last post.

-Nick

Attachments

• Exterior 4.jpg
    Exterior 4.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 79
  • Interior 1.jpg
    Interior 1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Interior 2.jpg
    Interior 2.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Interior 3.jpg
    Interior 3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 74
  • Engine 1.jpg
    Engine 1.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 78

62Impala

Here are a few pictures from the beginning of September of the headlight bezels and grill that I had Dave Kosmann redo.

After one season of driving it with the 283 in it, it's time to remove it and make the 409 swap. It ran good, however, it just isn't a 409. My uncle (BSL409) will be building the motor for me. I will post the spec's soon.

Attachments

• IMG_3389.JPG
    IMG_3389.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_3384.JPG
    IMG_3384.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_3395.JPG
    IMG_3395.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 53