(312) 63 Impala

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I removed the broken body mount bolt by cutting access through the trunk. It worked perfectly. Dropped the body back on the frame after 7 years. Everything lined up!
I installed the doors, fenders and radiator support today. I spent all day doing this. I got the gaps as good as I can, and I'm pleased.
I will install the trunk lid and start sanding. Going to apply a coat of Slick Sand, block and sealer.

Attachments

• fenders and doors on 2.jpg
    fenders and doors on 2.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Fenders and doors on.jpg
    Fenders and doors on.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 46

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I started painting this weekend! I'm very pleased with the results. I used PPG Omni production base and clear. Two coats of base followed by 2 coats of clear. I let it dry and blocked with 1000 grit sandpaper. Applied two more coats of clear. I will let this cure and buff.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Was rereading the post. Looks like you have moved or have built a new bigger shop. Nice paint. A nice black paint job is so sexy! Hope your son is still as involved as when you started. He has to be getting into girls & sports by now. Keep up the good fight!!!!!!!!!
Jeff

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thank you for the nice comments.
My son is 21 now and is a student at the University of Alabama. Time flies!
He is always hands on when he is home.
We did move to a new house on 5 acres with a barn. I finished out a portion of it for a 30x25 shop.
Last year I painted a 1998 Chevy Cheyenne pickup in white. That was my first attempt at spraying a vehicle. It was easy because there was pretty much no body work, and it was white.
This car, on the other hand, is BLACK! It has been a test of patience and will, and I'm far from done!
In the next few weeks, I'll finish the doors, fenders and trunk lid.
I'll keep you posted.

I thank the support from the members on this forum, YouTube (PHARRAWAY) and my family.

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I ran into a problem today. I went to put the trunk lid on and one of my hinges is "stretched".
Long story short. Years ago, I took the car to a shop to have it media blasted. After a year and a half and the car sitting outside, i finally was able to get it back. They dragged it out of their yard and now, i believe they dragged it from the trunk hinge causing the damage. I never paid attention or noticed the damage until now. This sucks and brings up a lot of painful memories from that shop.

Well, I am in need of a set of hinges or at least the passenger side one.

Attachments

• hinges.jpg
    hinges.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 21

hogmotors

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
You can buy a new, warrantied crate motor from a Chevy dealer usually for less than you can rebuild or patch one together. Been there!

Joe R.

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I took a stab at repairing and polishing the trunk trim.
Both pieces had significant pitting and several dings.
I worked out the dents. Then, with a palm sander, I used 80 grit, 120, 220, 320, 400 and 600. Then by hand, I wet sanded with 800, 1200, 1500 and 2000.
On the upper trunk piece a tried to avoid the "Chevrolet" letters because I didn't want to sand them away, so there is still a little pitting around that area, but I'm fine with that. I may carefully try to work it again.
I bought the 8" harbor freight buffer. I first polished with the brown compound, then finished with the white compound.
I am very pleased with the results.
Each piece took around 3 hours from start to finish.
What do I do now? Can these pieces be re-anodized? If not, should I clear them?Trunk trim pieces 4.jpgtrunk trim pieces 5.jpg