62 Impala SS Bubbletop Re-Restoration

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I almost have the car ready for the paint booth. It is in base color and completely jambed out . All I have to do is wet sand the base this afternoon and she will be ready. I can't get access to the booth until this weekend, so I will start painting it first thing saturday morning and hopefully have some time that afternoon to head out to the Pate Swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I painted the car today. Left it in the paint booth for the weekend and then I am going to have the body shop wet sand and buff it out for me. I am running out of time for the Super Chevy show and don't think I will be able to finish the car on my own now that I am working. They should have it done by thursday and I will start to put it back together when I pick it up.

Nuts

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Congrats !!!!

Brian,

Glad to hear you got the car painted, I'll bet she looks G R E A T !!!! :clap

I have the same problem with work getting in the way of fun !!! :roll

See you at Thompson's

Bill

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Wow, it's been almost a week since I have had time to come on here. Been working crazy hours to get all of the servers and network up at work, and my CTO just keeps adding more to the mix. What started out as 3 servers and a 10mb metro ethernet connection has turned into a total of 12 servers and 4 routers with a 50mb fiber connection (with the 10mb connection being used for failover). I have ordered about $150k in equipment over the past 2 weeks and it is trickling in every day. He wants everything in production state before I take vacation for the Thompson event, so I told him I would try my hardest to do it, but being the only one there that knows how to do this, it is definitely putting a damper on finishing the car.

Oh yeah, the car!!! I picked it up today from getting wet sanded and buffed. Brought it to the muffler shop to get the exhaust done and she is now resting in the garage to get re-assembled this weekend. I am devoting all my time to try and get it together this weekend. I told my boss that he won't see me until I can drive it. He said if I get the car done by Wednesday, he will pay me for working on it mon and tues and give me a bonus to boot. He has to fly out for two weeks on thursday and he wants to get a ride in it before he has to fly out. How can I beat that!

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
With an incentative like that Brian...........you need to get the #ell off the computor and either go back in the garage...or go to bed and get an early start in the morning!!!!!!:clap:clap:clap

Me...........I just can't get to sleep tonight so that's why I'm up at 12:30 in the morning!!!!:doh:doh

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I just came in from the garage!!! Heading to bed in a few to get a good night's sleep for a major weekend thrash to get her together.

Oh, I thought of a name for it.... "The Galloping Goose" It was my dad's football nickname in school....not sure I understand it...A galloping goose??? but hey, it was on the Eastern Shore!! (Robert and Dick this one's for you to answer) , but since he got me into these cars he deserves the honor.

Good night Phil!

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
Galloping Goose?

Great Name Brian:
I know of no local lore around here involving our many,many gooses. Maybe Dick might recall? The only connection I can think of is railroads. Was your Dad a railroad buff as that name I think has something to do with a train or old steam locomotive somewhere out west. Sorry, but it does sound like a neat name to paint behind the wheelwell.
robert
I too am going to work on mine today and get it started for our local town "streetfest".

oldskydog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I just came in from the garage!!! Heading to bed in a few to get a good night's sleep for a major weekend thrash to get her together.

Oh, I thought of a name for it.... "The Galloping Goose" It was my dad's football nickname in school....not sure I understand it...A galloping goose??? but hey, it was on the Eastern Shore!! (Robert and Dick this one's for you to answer) , but since he got me into these cars he deserves the honor.

Good night Phil!

You sure it wasn't "Gooney Bird"? Don't miss the ending!

:D

Skim

Well Known Member
I told my boss that he won't see me until I can drive it. He said if I get the car done by Wednesday, he will pay me for working on it mon and tues and give me a bonus to boot. He has to fly out for two weeks on thursday and he wants to get a ride in it before he has to fly out. How can I beat that!

Pics of the bonus check or it didnt happen! :deal

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have been making good progress putting the car back together this weekend. Interior is in, along with all glass (The power windows took most of the weekend to get in and aligned) and exterior moldings. I just threw some aftermarket side moldings on until I can take the time to buff out the originals.
I decided to install the front and rear windshields myself and I can't say anything was easier to do! I just wish the side windows were as easy.

Tomorrow I will put some urethane in the windshield gaskets and install the windshield stainless trim and put the engine turned aluminum strips in the side moldings. Can anyone recomend a good glue to use for this? I still have to put the grille, headlights and bumpers on and the front and rear sway bars. After that it should be road worthy, which will tell me what else I need to do!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Glue for strips

I bet Phil knows what to use to fasten those engine-turned metal strips to the aluminum side pieces :). When you figure it out, let me know, I need to install mine some day. Unfortunately I purchased the metal replacements AFTER I finished mounting the six pieces to the car :(.

Great progress, you're making us all look slow given the pace you are moving :). In comparison, my projects appear as if I've got one hand tied behind my back :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, I wasn't able to get the car completed by tonight. I had to work all day yesterday so it put me a day behind. My boss is not going to hold it against me getting the bonus though.

I only have a couple hours left to complete it. Mount the shifter and install the headlights is all I have left to do. Not bad for 3 days though.

Tom- I ended up using Urethane sealer for windshields to attach the aluminum engine turned inserts. worked like a champ. I just hope it will hold good enough so they don't blow off.

Good night all. I am beat!

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks Guys! Had a great time at the show.

Met all kinds of great people, saw some pretty awesome cars and forgot my camera! Roger and Phil had their cameras and Phil will probably post some incriminating photos of me....

Timje to order some more parts and start saving up for a custom interior.... I realized that I'm too "Street" for a Modified class.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Brian........this is Phil.

Can I buy uour cancelled check for my 409 collection?????????????:roll:roll:roll

Just throw in the stste inspection sticker on your windshield!!!!

PS: Been talkin' about ya. Not necessarily a pretty sight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:roll:roll