63 SS Revisited.....Project Z

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Phil Reed said if this doesn't work he will do an exchange with another original Z-11 water pump! God Bless him, such a good man!!! .....Always takes care of his customers!!:cloud

Is that the same Reed formerly from around the KC area? Neighbors reportedly have said a moving truck came by the other night and there has been no other activity there since, except for some cop in an unmarked car Dennis..

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I want to thank Carl McQuillen for restoring what might have been an expensive wall hanger. I have read someplace that the original Z-11 water pump failed with some regularity...... Looks like the one I have to put on the Z build was approaching the fail zone, if not already there. According to Carl this was "no big deal" and he could most likely fix it. I am truly greatful that he is charged with this project of mine. What a REAL pleasure to work with!!!

View attachment 50815 View attachment 50815 View attachment 50816 View attachment 50817 View attachment 50818
looks really good

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Quick update.... It appears that the block does not have to be decked and is in an extremely well preserved original state and the heads are untouched originals as well. Original valves and springs and no porting. They do not have to be decked. Should be on the Dyno early Feb. :flag
:pepper:bacon:dance
This is where you were SUPPOSED to mention how Phil Reed sold you some really MINT parts!!! PS: I told you I bought the water pump from a salvage yard in San Pedro, CA on eBay you Jack Wagon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
OK...OK!!!!..........Phil sold me some REALLY nice parts.!................Even gave me some NOS Chevy Orange paint.....well for another $75.00 of course!!!......Not bad for a 4 oz. spray can!!!!

Can said "TESTORS"........then an old NOS hobby shop price tag....But it was NOS!!!!!!

Don't we all love the guy????:hug

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
OK...OK!!!!..........Phil sold me some REALLY nice parts.!................Even gave me some NOS Chevy Orange paint.....well for another $75.00 of course!!!......Not bad for a 4 oz. spray can!!!!

Can said "TESTORS"........then an old NOS hobby shop price tag....But it was NOS!!!!!!

Don't we all love the guy????:hug
Probably a mispell by Phil, likely should be TESTOSTERONE.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Missed out on the Mecum parts and didn't even try, as I thought they would sell for a fortune.... Lesson learned.....But with the help of some real fine folks, I now have one of the items for the project that I really wanted!

In the early 2000's the Don Everhart Z-11 hood was disassembled and used as the basis to reproduce a few Aluminum Z-11 hoods. As I understand it,....the number of hoods reproduced is not readily known. I do know that they have been unavailable for years, as I have really beat the bushes to find ANY information on these puppies.

I have been fortunate to be able to secure the original Everhart hood (the original red paint is still there in protected areas) -- Along with the original hood, I have a new-in-the crate reproduced Z-11 hood from 2005. It was opened today for the first time. Along with the hoods are two sets of new springs for the lighter hood.

I'll never get it all.......but I'm gonna try!!!. This is what we call a po-boy's Z-11, and having a ball!!!!!!!!:)
IMG_1240.jpg IMG_1245.jpg IMG_1246.jpg IMG_1247.jpg