altered/ slingshot dragster

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Moved hairpin mounts on axle today. Mounted lower spring mounts on axle. Decided to make an upper shock mount/crossmember instead of individual shock mounts. Tieing both frame rails and upper mounts together will be much stronger and allow me to shorten the front frame even further. A win win in my book. I can't wait to chop off the framerails to get a better visual of the car! Got a bunch more stuff on order too.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Pulled the body from the frame today. Found I have a little more work to do. Not bad though. Will be moving the firewall 4 inches for a little more leg room. The work never ends.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
This should allow you to place the weight of the engine further forward in order to make the car less "wheelie" prone.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
It has been a long time since I caught up on this thread but looking at the pictures you have posted this is going to be a hand full. Most Altereds need the motor plate at least 66 inches out from the centerline of the rear end, and the crankshaft centerline 12' from the ground or less. I am afraid this car is going to go to the moon Alice. Good Luck.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Yes,looking at those last pictures,that front end needs to come down to the point that ,with engine and trans.in the car,the car is level.It'll drive MUCH better that way,especially on the top end.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
With weight in the car, the front will come down a bit, and I dropped the rear 2 inches to help compensate for no weight in the car while moving the axle back. It won't be level, but will be quite a bit closer than it is now when assembled. At least that is the plan. I can always get adjustable shocks to help bring the nose down a bit if needed. Time will tell. I do want it a bit nose high as they were in the 60's. The engine will probably be coming out a few inches from its current location. We will see how it looks once the firewall is moved.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Brian, have you considered building some zoomie headers to more complete the period look?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Yes sir Dave! I have the flanges and the mandrel bends already. I am going to wait to build them until the engine is in the chassis to make sure the look will be just right. I like the way you think.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Zoomies do look cool on an altered,and for Brian's piece of mind,will kill off some of the low end torque making for a softer,more consistant launch.

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Don, on forced induction, I don't think you will see much ,if any , loss. Years ago ( about 1996?) at U.S. nationals at Indy, Seen John Lingenfelter experiment with headers on his A/D, three different sets, conventional 4 into 1, tri-y, & short dragster zoomies, all runs were between 6.96 & 6.98. Figured the ex. Port was efficient enough on its own that the pipes just didn't make much difference. Probably on a lower RPM car it would have made a bigger difference.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That's what I always thought. Since the intake charge is pushed into the engine by mechanical means that the scavenging affect of headers really didn't matter.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
Just the louder the better on the headers. With a blower cam there is no were else to go.

You need to put up some more pictures of the car I would like to see some.