altered/ slingshot dragster

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
108 Scott. I hope I don't regret it, but any longer and it looks out of proportion using the 60's style as a guide. The engine mounts quite low in the chassis compared to the vintage ones so I hope that will help the handling a bit. I just couldn't get my self to go any longer.:(

scott hall

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
At 108" just make sure frt end is good in the caster setting. I might still consider engine forward an inch or so.:dunno2 You'll get it right I'm sure.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Im happy you have confidence in me, because that makes one of us Scott. It had 8 degrees before I started moving things. Is 10 too much to shoot for?

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
The lighter the front end weight, the more caster is needed. My FED had 40 degrees, the straight axle Chevy II has 10 degrees. Only a suggestion, hope it helps.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
The lighter the front end weight, the more caster is needed. My FED had 40 degrees, the straight axle Chevy II has 10 degrees. Only a suggestion, hope it helps.

I've always heard the same thing about a light front end needing more caster.
It looks like Wild Willie Borsch had plenty of caster...

wild+willie+b+w1286482709.jpg

dm62409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
Borch's cars handling problems were more power to the rear axle related , than any thing to do with the front.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I got the new front axle in today. Caster set at 20 degrees. It can be changed with the clevis adjustments if need be. Spindles and hubs all on. Tomorrow steering arms and such. Will be fabbing upper and lower shock mounts and front engine mounts later in the week.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You are moving right along. In over two months all I've done is remove the shifter and drive shaft :facepalm

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
:lmao But your car is all together. I also have the front suspension blown apart on my 62. I was just reading the class rules for NHRA and have a headache. I think I will just build it, test it, and show up with it. I am sure they will inspect it and send me on my way home the first time I go to the track. Maybe not, who knows. I do not understand the terminology, or have any practical experience interpeting that stuff. :gaah:dunno2