altered/ slingshot dragster

Wilson1

Well Known Member
I have been driving Altered’s and Front Engine cars for years. I currently have an 8 second Altered which I posted a picture of in my introduction page. There are a few advantages to owing an Altered. They fit in the garage – You don’t have to have a big trailer – they are easy to work on – and fans love them. They are a lot more fun to drive and if you are bracket racing they have better visibility for driving the finish line.

Hard tail cars are great. I know there are guys on here that might not agree, but many tests have been done, and suspended cars are no faster than hard tails. The only place suspended cars do a better job is on the return road. You could pick up a good hard tail roller for little or nothing these days. You might have to add a couple X tubes below the driver to get current, but the chassis design hasn’t changed much over the years. Look for at least 125” wheel base. A mild steel altered should weigh under 2000lbs with a BBC. You could put a stock small block in one and run low 10’s to start with. An older short wheel base Front Motor car is more fun to drive that a newer longer wheel base car. The longer the wheel base, the more boring it is. Lots of people are afraid of Altered’s because they see the Fuel Altereds going crazy on the track. I would not hesitate to put a young person coming out of Jr Dragsters in my car. Drives like a dream. If a short wheel base car does get out of shape, simply shut it off and abort the run. You have the rest of your life to race, don’t do stupid stuff. I didn’t have to shut mine off once last year. Straight down Broadway. Do it, you should have fun.

Aug232013_zps5d543d20.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I was cleaning the frame today getting ready to shorten it a bit. Hope the brackets will be in tomorrow.This car has been 8.60's but i doubt i will go that fast. Ten flat would be great. Good to hear they drive pretty decent.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
Sorry didn't read the whole thread.. Why do you want to shorten the wheel base? How far out is the motor plate? What I mean by that, measure from the center of the rear axle to the motor plate. Should be around 62 to 66 inches... If you shorten the wheel base, you take weight off the rear wheels.. FYI.. My altered had a Bantam body on it when I got it. Kool

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I will have to measure at the shop tomorrow. At 125 it is just out of proportion for a 60's style. At 108 it seems about right. I am shooting for a vintage look and hope I don't make too many mistakes. I appreciate any advice as I have never done this stuff before. Thank You.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
115 -125 Is a good length. Once you put a couple side panels under the headers it is gonna look fine. Longer hooks better and drives nicer. Can always get a nose piece or build one. Just a thought, it can always be shortened later if you get bored or just hate the look.:brow
I agree with Scott, put it together with its current wheelbase and run it. Then after you have some seat time you can make a educated decision whether or not to shorten the wheelbase.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
Too late, shortening in progress. Centerline of rear axle to midplate is 58 inches. Is that too short Wilson1? The car is just too long in the nose for a 60's build to me. Most back then were under 100 inches. Wish me luck.

Wilson1

Well Known Member
If you were not shorting it I would recommend moving the motor out some . because 58" out with any power and a long wheel base is going to require wheelie bars. If you shorten the wheel base to 108, which is really - really short, original Fiat race car short, I would encourage you to at least go 110. Trust me, I have driven 108 wheel base altereds and they are a hand full. By the way, I would also stick with a power glide no matter what motor you start with. If you go to the CHRR or the March meet you are not going to see many nostalgia alterds running short wheel bases and being competitive. I run NEII in the Heritage series and I never see anything under 100". That is scary stuff right there if you plan on running anything under 10.5 seconds. You said this altered had been in the 8". You couldn't pay me to jump into a altered under 100" that ran 8's and hammer it. It would take a few runs to work up to trusting a short car like that. My car with the big motor at a sea level track will run high 7's and it is a real hand full. I prefer a 468 and 8's at altitude. Have fun, and be very, very careful.

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
I have radius brackets tacked in at 108 and to me it looks perfect. If 4 inches would make that much difference I could still move it. I am planning on 10 flat for times and a power glide for sure. This build is for fun, not competition. I don't have enough time or money to get good at it. Yes, safety is a major concern for me. I will be at Bowling Green for sure with my 62.