Fixin a Ronnie Russell Stroker..

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Yes, lot simpler and thanks for the help!!... Won't have time till tomorrow to finish, monday and back to work :>(

It's fine,geometry wise,leave it alone and drive it.The method that you used is what I use,I find it simpler even if it takes a little longer.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
Why did the rockers get so much grinding where the poly lock is on the outer side? There should be plenty of room there if the pushrods are the correct length.

I always set intake as exhaust opens and exhaust as intake closes. I have to do one cylinder at a time to not get confused and miss one.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Why did the rockers get so much grinding where the poly lock is on the outer side? There should be plenty of room there if the pushrods are the correct length.

I always set intake as exhaust opens and exhaust as intake closes. I have to do one cylinder at a time to not get confused and miss one.

Hi Skip!

I actually don't know why the rockers are beveled out where the poly lock sits, they don't touch and have no wear. When we originally bought and shipped to Ronnie, could have been that way, we did originally have 690's, but it could also be some secret sauce he did, not sure..

On the method you described, same as Don and followed it the same way. I think i did them all like 12 times because I was worried about missing something, leaving a lock not tight, ha! My nightmare, a polylock coming loose...

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
I noticed that too,possibly something that Ronnie did for the 690's y'all screwed up,as they have slightly different stud angles than the Eddies.He told me about a nice set of 690's getting broken while screwing around with a cross ram intake after it got back home to you.I just figured that he wanted,or felt it needed more clearance due to the lift on your cam.You can bet he had a good reason.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I lost a polylock allen nut on my 09 at the races in '72. Luckily not catastrophic and used a short bolt to finish the races. Allen bolt never showed up even when I tore the motor down.
I do the same thing check valves several times.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I noticed that too,possibly something that Ronnie did for the 690's y'all screwed up,as they have slightly different stud angles than the Eddies.He told me about a nice set of 690's getting broken while screwing around with a cross ram intake after it got back home to you.I just figured that he wanted,or felt it needed more clearance due to the lift on your cam.You can bet he had a good reason.

Yup. Worst day in our build. We used regular studs for our carbs, well one backed all the way down on its own through the intake and got sucked out a cylinder. Still have the heads, one is perfect the other has a crack on the ring around the cylinder. Not sure what its called. Ill try to take a pic and post this weekend...He was so mad, omg, i lost a head and a piece of my butt!!... :>) He had a fantastic way in his quiet tone to let you know he was mad :>). For us anyway, he started with a "Well, yeaaa" and class was in session hahaha. We always took notes, literally. Sometimes the kids were on speaker listening and we'd all get something out of it..I'd pull out a piece of paper and take notes. I guess looking back, as bad as it was to have that head get messed up, it was worth it because of the time we got to chat with him. Learned a lot. Sounds hokey, but an awesome guy.. Miss him, Dave, Brian.. Great guys.

Anyway, the reason I dont know why they are that way, exactly what you said, because thats what Ronnie sent, ha!

Now you all know why i have demons in my head about a polylock coming loose, hahahah. In fact, when we were firing her up after hibernation, the starter kicked back and went. That sound, when it kicks back and "clink" we the starter goes, i had flashbacks and almost passed out before I got under the car to try and move the flywheel and have blood come back to my brain...:>)

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Ronnie always took a lot of pride in his work,justifiably so.He was always ready and willing to help anybody with what he knew,just don't screw up his work and expect him to be happy about it.:batDo you still have that cross ram intake?

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I tighten my poly locks with the Allen wrench and then turn the nut another 1/8. Easy if you have hydraulic. Have to think and compensate a little with a solid.

Last edited:

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Hi! Finished adjusting the valves, a few were off but only by .01 with the exception of an exhaust valve on number 5 which was @.03, so twice the gap its supposed to be at. While doing the work, i took the rocker off that one and the wheel dragged. Fired her up and still had a tick, so took it to a buddies shop who has a headset that lets you listen for location. He builds and races and said i should replace the rockers because they should never have drag.

Does this make sense and can you recommend the best rockers i should buy?

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Scorpain,Crane,Comp,all are good.Just be sure to get 1.7's. Yes it makes sense.We used to back off the rockers completely on solid lifter engines for winter storage to make life eaiser on valve train parts.

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Scorpain,Crane,Comp,all are good.Just be sure to get 1.7's. Yes it makes sense.We used to back off the rockers completely on solid lifter engines for winter storage to make life eaiser on valve train parts.

Thanks Don! Done deal, I'll post the ones before I buy. Thinking replace rods too in case?

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
More than likley,Ronnie found that it was needed for retainer/rocker clearence.Were they on the intake or exhaust side of the engine?

plumcrazy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
More than likley,Ronnie found that it was needed for retainer/rocker clearence.Were they on the intake or exhaust side of the engine?

I'm sorry, I just pulled them and noticed. A few are rough to rol, and the 7 one were the most... That's about where you could hear the tick with the headset... I did check, the valves were set properly. He thought if when I took them off If they were out, could be a roller issue trying to eat a cam. but if not it's the bearings in the rockers. Do rockers that are going make a tick or more chatter?

Last edited:

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
They'll all do a great job.The Comps may have a little better rocker/retainer clerance.